Decisions, Decisions

Its a Secret
on 9/7/11 11:35 pm, edited 1/23/12 9:32 pm
Changed so that my post and information is not shared on FB without my permission or knowledge.
Mdae
on 9/8/11 3:51 am
i don't take nsaids chronically, as they're not really 'good' for anyone, but if i have a migraine, i'll pop an advil or two.  maybe once every 4 months or more.  you may find that less stress on your joints from less weight means that you need slightly less pain relief though.

my bathroom issues are dependent on what i eat.  if i eat pasta (for some reason even a little pasta), i wind up looking 13 months pregnant.  if i steer clear of primarily white flour in general, then i'm fine, if i have a tiny amount, it's tolerable.   no runny poo, no constipation.  oh - skim milk is rough on me too, can't even do 2%.  I tend to avoid milk and ice cream altogether, but i can use half and half or cream.  other people have other issues with food.  it's very dependent on the person, but it's usually within your control (by what you eat).  I have to say though, that it is awesome to be able to cook with lots of butter and bacon and have rich food and feel guilt-free.

I have splenda every morning in my coffee (it's the coffee i wanna ditch, because it leeches calcium).

i lost around 120lbs, i'm 36.  i have excess skin, and would very much like a lower body lift.  that said, my clothes hide the skin pretty well, my arms and legs aren't nearly as bad as my flabby gut.  some spanx or good foundation garments help a lot.  i don't get skin irritation unless i'm too dirty too long.  i think that you'll feel so much better about yourself, the excess skin will become only a minor afterthought when it comes to intimacy.

teachmid
on 9/8/11 6:02 am - OKC, OK
Welcome. You've come to the right place, I'll be 63 next month and I had a RNY to DS revision last December. You'll find a wide range of ages here.

NSAIDS are fine with the DS. One of the advantages. I used to pop Advil like candy for constant pain. After I recovered from surgery I found most of my pain gone and I have only taken it a couple of times in the last few months.

In terms of bowels issues, the first a couple of months was an adjustment. I do notice gas, but rarely have severe gas pain or diarrhea. In fact, many people here struggle with constipation. A lot of the bowel issues are controllable by diet.

A big component of the DS is vigilance to your protein, fluids, vitamins and labs. These are all key. I would encourage you to read this board as well as DSFacts.com.

Good luck on your research.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 6:18 am
Its a Secret
on 9/8/11 7:22 am, edited 1/23/12 9:32 pm
Changed so that my post and information is not shared on FB without my permission or knowledge.

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 7:39 am
MsBatt
on 9/8/11 12:51 pm
I too question your surgeon's actual experience with the DS, after hearing about the NSAIDs thing.

I will be 8 years post-op come December, and I've taken Aleve 2-3 times DAILY since I was one month post-op---with my surgeon's blessings.
nightowl
on 9/8/11 3:46 pm - Topeka, KS

They can be either open or laparoscopic.  It seems the percentage of DSes done open has been decreasing over the years.  I'm guessing around 65% are now lap, 35% open.    The five hours you mention may be around average.  Mine was I think under two hours, but that was definitely on the short end.  Open can often be done quicker, on average, though mine happened to be short and laparoscopic (and mine included taking out the appendix and gallbladder, and my extra request of testing duodenum while there anyways for celiac sprue, which my mother has, but I was deemed not to have).  A few, such as Dr. Sudan, use the Da Vinci robot, but I am a little skeptical of that, partly because I think it leaves the patient under anesthesia longer.

goodkel
on 9/9/11 1:09 am
On September 8, 2011 at 2:22 PM Pacific Time, hoosiermoma wrote:
Thank you all for the great responses.  Both the surgeon, the PA and the nutritionist said my NSaids have to go.  :( 

I have read enough to know how important the vitamin and protein regimine will be to my continued good health.  The idea of the DS frightens the heck out of me, I have to be honest about it.  It does however sound like the only option that will offer me long term success.  I think I read that it is a 5 hour long surgery.  I'm looking to find out if this is done as a closed procedure or only open and if closed if the time frame is different. 

I will post both questions and progress as it occurs.  I thank all of you for your support :)

Sorry, but your surgeon, the PA, and the nutritionist are WRONG about the NSAIDS. That is RnY advice. They will be no more dangerous to you post-op than they are to any other person who didn't have surgery. Everyone needs to be careful with them.

Get used to this.

Did they also tell you that you can't drink before, after, or with your meals? Wrong again.

You are far from too old for WLS and the DS will provide you with the greatest chance to reach a normal weight and the greatest chance for maintaining that weight long term.

Just be prepared to ignore all that bad RnY-centric advice.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Julie R.
on 9/8/11 8:03 am - Ludington, MI
 I've never heard of your surgeon.   How many DS's has he done?  It is absolutely imperative that you find that you find that out.    Most surgeons will tell you that you can use NSAIDS, so this is also a concern that he is not experienced at the DS - because he sounds like he's treating you like a RNY patient.   As others have mentioned, NO ONE should take NSAID's with abandon....I have problems with headaches and recently, with severe joint pain (I am seeing a rheumatologist in Nov) and take NSAID's but take them very cautiously.

I only get painful gas or frequent bowel movements when I eat like a complete and total idiot, usually in the form of **** like Jelly Bellys or half a dozen chocolate chip cookies.  Or cheap bread. Blech.    If I eat properly, I have about three nice, softish BM's a day and minimal gas.   

I was 45 when I had my DS.   I think my starting BMI was 46.1.    I have had no plastic surgery, and trust me, I was NOT blessed with good genes in regard to skin elasticity, but check out my profile pics and see for yourself that I don't look like a shriveled up prune.  Clothed, that is.    A lot of insurance companies do cover a panni removal, by the way.   I met, dated and married my husband as a post-op, and he thinks I'm sexy as hell (and no, he's not blind, LOL) and even tolerates me farting at night.

At five years post-op, I can have a small piece of cake (but really it's too sweet and tastes yucky after a couple of bites) or a piece of pie or a good roll without significant gas.   I can eat gravy, meatballs made with a few bread crumbs, etc., with no problems.   I do watch my carbs at work, as I don't want to be clearing out my classroom with noxious gas, and if I have to fly on an airplane or go out for a long evening with friends, I'm ultra careful that day with the carbs.   I can eat corn, rice or potatoes with no problems, so can eat potato chips, corn tortillas, popcorn, mashed potatoes, buttered rice, etc.     Still plenty of carbs out there to tempt me!    At this point in my DS life, I do not seem to be too affected by my carb consumption, so as long as I don't go beserk, I do eat some baked potato with my nice juicy rib eye steak, or some rice with my stir fry, etc.     I will have a piece of pie guilt-free for dessert.   I eat what I want, and rarely worry about it and that's a FIRST for me in my adult life!!!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125