LAP BAND TO DS.

Lucy21485
on 9/9/11 1:22 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 08/20/06
I had the lap band surgery Aug. 2006 and have been on a rollercoaster the whole time. When I had my surgery I had just turned 21 and I was very depressed and had bad anxiety and was uncomfortable with myself. I was depressed all the time and had no idea what depression was. I take medication for hypothyroidism and I was on the wrong dose for years. The dose was so high that it made me depressed and have bad anxiety. I was always throwing up and i got full from drinking water. I only had lost about 20 pounds after surgery but gained it back.Fast foward to 2011 I had my second and final child and my OB checked my blood work constanty till i was on the right dose. I feel so much better now. I'm not depressed anymore but I'm not happy with my weight. It keeps me from being the happy person I want to be. I have a 29 mo old daughter and a 8 week old son and I want to be able to play with them and hold them and not have my back or knees hurt. My weight makes me very irritated and I don't want to be like that anymore. I have a appointment on Friday to talk to a new surgeron about revising. I will be using a new insurance so we will see what happens. Let me know how it's been for you since your revision please.
MajorMom
on 9/9/11 1:51 am - VA
I'm not a revision but I wanted to say, welcome. Good luck getting through the process. Ask any questions you want and we'll chime in.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lucy21485
on 9/9/11 1:55 am

Hi Gina!

How long did it take to get to your goal weight? Any complications?

MajorMom
on 9/9/11 1:58 am - VA
Hi there! I've had zero complications and it took me 11 months to get to goal. Having the DS is the best decision I've made for myself in a long time.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lucy21485
on 9/9/11 2:13 am
Thats great!
teachmid
on 9/9/11 3:08 am - OKC, OK
Welcome, Lucy. I had a different revision, RNY to DS, but again, like Gina, no significant problems.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/9/11 5:07 am - Tuvalu

Do we know your surgeon?

Because there are some really good choices and some not-so-good choices in Texas.
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 6:07 am - PA
Welcome....I too an having the band to DS revision!  I'm super excited, nervous and anxious all at the same time. Im scheduled for revision for jan 19th. 

Good Luck and welcome - there are a great group of vets, pre-ops and post-ops here, as well as a bunch of valuable information.

alisha
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 9:06 am - NY
Hi- I was banded 3 months ago, and haven't lost anything since banding. All the weight I lost was the pre-op liquid diet. I am not a large volume eater, I don't eat junk-I consume maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food and stay full for 4 or 5 hours and I exercise 3-4 xs a week-spin class, weights, yoga. I have had 1 fill and it was too much-(2cc's) she had to take almost half out-I couldn't pass anything thru. My doc said I'm very sensitive but all I know is I feel like a complete failure! I don't think the band is for me & think that DS would be better- I need that malabsorbtive component. How long do you have to wait for a revision. During my work up I brought up other procedures but they said I would do fine with a band
Sorry for the ramble -
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/9/11 9:13 am, edited 9/9/11 9:13 am - Tuvalu

Currently, your BMI is probably too low for you to qualify for ANY bariatric surgery.

Sorry.

And some policies have a Once in a Lifetime rule for bariatric surgery.