Need advice...botched sleeve.

no_more_rolls
on 9/8/11 10:53 pm - Jackson, MI
I would fight your insurance company AND seek an attorney!  You have 2 separate issues.  1.)  Get your insurance company to pay for the DS.  2.)  Make the surgeon that did your sleeve pay for his negligence and your physical pain and suffering.  Just my opinion...and I am not the sue happpy type.

Good luck!
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 11:04 pm - Underwood, ND
The surgeon that did my sleeve is Brandon Helbling at St. Alexius in Bismarck, ND.  It use to be on my profile, but when I started looking into DS and Buchwald, I removed it.  Sad thing is, there isn't a lot of options here for surgeons so most people here just go to whoever.  I researched the 3 in my area...1 of which my ins didn't cover because he was out of network.  Out of the 2 in my network, he had the best reviews and the least complication rate.  I guess it's hard to ahve a complication rate when you're not actually doing an effective surgery.  Asshole.
Sue C
on 9/9/11 1:39 am - Fargo, ND
Have you checked into the Dr's at Sanford here in Fargo?  They are very good.  Lots of info on the website.

~ Sue ~

257/162/150

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 1:52 am - Underwood, ND
You mean checked with them regarding the DS?  No one in ND does DS.  Sanford referred me to UofMN Medical Center
Julie R.
on 9/9/11 2:02 am - Ludington, MI
I'm really glad you are going to Buchwald for your DS!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

BBoop
on 9/9/11 3:29 am
Dr. B is a great surgeon; however, most of his patients don't lose the required weight.  He is good and the surgery is complication free.

I had him for my first DS and I've done fine.  I did, however have my stomach resleeved because my stomach just wasn't small enough.  My malabsorption is working fine.  This is something to consider when chosing a surgeon.

I wish you the best and if I were you...get an attorney soon and make sure you get all the info you need to sure the hell out of the other doc.

b
Sue C
on 9/9/11 5:39 am - Fargo, ND
Oh sorry.  I thought someone did.

~ Sue ~

257/162/150

Elizabeth N.
on 9/9/11 8:57 am - Burlington County, NJ
There are no DS surgeons in ND.

Emily F.
on 9/9/11 7:16 am
Yes, I would talk to a lawyer about your options regarding the surgery that you thought was performed. Did you notice you had no restriction? Were you eating small amounts and still not losing weight?
Mom4Jazz
on 9/9/11 7:37 am
Wow. I remember you from the sleeve board when you were struggling - I'm so sorry you're going through this.

That is absolutely not what a properly made sleeve looks like. I hope you can win an appeal based on the way your stomach is constructed - if most of your gastric fundus is intact, you get almost none of the benefit of the sleeve.

Good luck!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012