Xpost PLEASE help. Has anyone had the micropouch with Dr James Sapala????

ginany
on 9/8/11 10:54 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
I had an RNY in 1/06 with Dr James Sapala. Its called a micropouch. I am now looking for a revision due to a stretched pouch and stoma. I had a consult today with Dr. Roslin at Lenox Hill. He said there is a chance it cannot be done. Has anyone had a micropouch and try for a revision?

Please anyone that can help. I am really bummed but I am not giving up hope yet. Have an upper GI on Monday.
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

lovemypugs
on 9/8/11 11:04 am - VA
Why did Dr. Roslin say there was a chance it couldn't be done?
ginany
on 9/8/11 11:41 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
Because of the type of surgery the micropouch is, he said it may not be possible.  He did get technical but at that point i went deaf and tried everything in my power to hold back the tears.  I showed him my 2 endoscopies and than he said I can go for an upper GI and we will take it from there.  Im trying not to give up hope. It is really hard for me to do that.  Right now I feel that I will never know what it is like to be thin, that I will always be fat .I really got down to business today with my eating.  All hight protein and low carb.  Im looking into buying some workout DVD's as well.   I want this so bad but I am preparing myself incase it does not happen.
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

larra
on 9/9/11 12:41 am - bay area, CA
I'm very sorry that this is happening, and hope the next study will offer better news.
     I looked up the Sapala micropouch (he has it patented, btw), and couldn't determine exactly why this would not be revisable. I could guess that perhaps too much of the blood supply or nerve supply of the stomach has been damaged, but it's just a guess. If you do find out Dr. Roslin's reasoning, please let us know. And I totally understand why you heard nothing after is said it might not be possible. That had to be devastating.
    Best of luck, and let us know what happens.

Larra
ginany
on 9/9/11 2:48 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
I did all my homework with my insurance company.  i had all my paperwork and letter I needed.  I was so ready to go and when I heard that, the dissapointment was ..... cant even describe it.  Someone on the facebook ds site said how about distal RNY.  I dont know much about it, but reading up on here, I see it is not reccomended.  I hope after the UGI, it turns out that he can do it.  I got my fingers, toes and everything else crossed, LOL
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

newyorkbitch
on 9/9/11 9:09 pm
You could also get a second opinion in NY - go see Pomp or Inabnet at Cornell.

ginany
on 9/10/11 12:34 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
I was actually going with Pomp at first but he did not take my insurance.
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

newyorkbitch
on 9/10/11 12:07 pm
How about Inabnet?  Maybe he's on your insurance.

"Dr William Barry Inabnet is the Chief of Metabolic, Endocrine and Minimally Invasive Surgery at Mount Sinai.
Dr. Inabnet has been performing laparoscopic bariatric surgery since 1999. He performs all the different types of weight loss surgery including RNY gastric bypass, LAP-BAND®, duodenal switch, sleeve gastrectomy, and revisional procedures. "

He's also on dsfacts.com as a vetted DS surgeon,  if that matters to you.

He was on Gagner's original team at Mt Sinai when I had my DS in 2000,  FWIW.    He also did one of my emergency surgeries when I had a bowel obstruction in 2002.

(FWIW,  Herron and Pomp were also on that team - they've all been doing the DS for a long time)

newyorkbitch
on 9/10/11 2:08 pm
Gina you cannot "go deaf."  You must understand exactly what surgery you had and what the issues are,  and if Roslin tell you definitely that it can't be done,  you have to understand why.

Why don't you wait under after the GI series and then talk to Roslin and then see what's next. 
P. Poster
on 9/9/11 1:50 am
 While Roslin is a fabulous DS surgeon, I would also seek a second opinion from another vetted DS surgeon, and one that specializes in revision specifically.  There are only a few of these...  I believe the closest one to you, at this time (since it seems Greenbaum in NJ is still not doing revisions (correct me if I'm wrong)) would be Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA.