Sometimes I panic because I have a DS.

mlleelise
on 9/9/11 7:34 am
DS on 02/13/12
You know...it's funny you should post this, because I am right now in the deciding stage between having a sleeve gastro - or sleeve with DS.  I have seen all of the great statistics about the long-range maintenance of weight loss with DS. 
Then I think: what about when I'm 83 (like my mom is today), and having a hard time keeping weight on, having a hard time swallowing all the supplements....worse yet, what if I'm in a nursing home or something, or get Alzheimers and unable Ito get all the nutrients for myself?  Will I just die FASTER - and lose years off my life, because I make this decision today??

Any reassurance - any thoughts - would be appreciated!
Kathleen F.
on 9/9/11 7:51 am

This is a concern that has been expressed from time to time. And certainly something worth considering. I look at it this way. My mother, who is now 78, had a liver transplant 15 years ago. Since that time she has had to take certain medications, without fail, or risk dying from rejection. As a diabetic, she also has to keep close tabs on her blood sugar and take her insulin without fail... or she could "die faster". I figure that making sure I get all my supplements and eating enough protein to be in the same category. I don't think that my mom even once thought that she shouldn't get the liver transplant because she might live so long that she might end up really old and living in a nursing home or something that impairs her ability to care for herself. I believe all we can to is to do that best we can to take care of ourselves for as long as we can and hope that we have prepared everyone else around us enough that they can look out for our well being if/when we become incapacitated.

In my point of view, by having weight loss surgery, I was trading one set of medical issues for another set of medical issues. I just figured that this set of medical issues, from having weight loss surgery, led to better overall health and quality of life. I feel that counts more than possible problems with proper care when I am really old.

goodkel
on 9/9/11 9:00 am
On September 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM Pacific Time, mlleelise wrote:
You know...it's funny you should post this, because I am right now in the deciding stage between having a sleeve gastro - or sleeve with DS.  I have seen all of the great statistics about the long-range maintenance of weight loss with DS. 
Then I think: what about when I'm 83 (like my mom is today), and having a hard time keeping weight on, having a hard time swallowing all the supplements....worse yet, what if I'm in a nursing home or something, or get Alzheimers and unable Ito get all the nutrients for myself?  Will I just die FASTER - and lose years off my life, because I make this decision today??

Any reassurance - any thoughts - would be appreciated!
Really, why would you want to extend a life drooling and incontinent at the mercy of strangers in a nursing home? I'm kind of counting on my DS to help me get out of that kind of situation as quickly as possible.

If I get Alzheimer's, I hope the first thing I forget is where I placed my meds list.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Elizabeth N.
on 9/9/11 10:12 am - Burlington County, NJ
If I get Alzheimers, I think I WANT to die faster, after a certain point anyhow.

What's the difference between getting DS health related struggles as an old person and any other health struggle? You get older, you have more pain and lots of other things. That's how it happens.

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 10:14 am - Reeseville, WI

Please, don't let my post scare you from the DS.  I have no regrets about it, best thing I ever did for myself.  I get panicky about a lot of stuff. Driving, being at work, going to the store, etc.

This just seemed strange to me that I would panic over something I tried for years to get and wanted so badly.

Amanda-DS
on 9/10/11 9:16 am
 get therapy, get exercise, get some good protein-------------get help
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

mlleelise
on 9/17/11 12:07 pm
DS on 02/13/12
Thanks for the advice.  I have decided on the DS, but can not find a doctor willing to do it.  My bariatric surgeon tells me I will lose my hair, my teeth - and that getting the flu will land me in the hospital..Scare tactics, right? Right??? Mine will be a revision from the lapband - waiting for approval now for ANY revision.  If insurance will pay, I'll just have to find a dr to do it.  If not, I'll probably only do the sleeve for now. I've talked to Dr. Gagner in Canada - he will do the DS, but it's way too much money.
I've also looked into Dr. Ramos Kelly in Mexico...great reviews on the forums, but just for the sleeve.  Anyone have experience with him with DS?  Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/11 12:17 pm - Reeseville, WI
You should probably start a new thread about this since this is buried in an old thread.  You'll get lots of great advice that way.
Elizabeth N.
on 9/17/11 12:19 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Your bariatric surgeon is full of **** Leave him/her posthaste and never look back.

There is ONE and ONLY ONE acceptable DS surgeon in Mexico, and that is Dr. Gilberto Ungson in Hermasillo. Disregard this advice at your peril. Period.

Dr. David Greenbaum in NJ has recently started offering an excellent self pay option for cash patients. Contact him at www.southjerseybariatrics.com or www.duodenalswitchdoc.com .

Why on earth would you plan on THREE WLS procedures anyway? That's silly. You already made one dumb WLS mistake. Get it done right this time. Go all the way. Don't get a sleeve PLANNING to need the DS later.

mlleelise
on 9/17/11 11:06 pm
DS on 02/13/12
Thanks for advice.  I really don't think it was a 'dumb mistake' getting a lapband.  It served it's purpose for 7 years...my bariatric dr? Yes, that may be dumb mistake, but my only choice in upstate NY..
Have written to Dr, Ungson...no response.  Will try Dr Greenbaum.  Thanks again.