Sometimes I panic because I have a DS.

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 9:23 am - Reeseville, WI

This has happened twice to me.  While sitting and thinking about my surgery I get panicked over having had surgery done and the fact that my stomach and intestines have been altered.

I start to panic about deficiencies, blockages, twisted bowels, etc.  It makes me feel like I want to run around screaming.  Of course, I talk myself out of this silliness.  This time I had to take a pill.  

Now what in the world would cause this?  I'm happy I had surgery and feel very fortunate over it also.  I follow all the rules and  my last labs were good.  Guess it's like I said, I'm just being silly.

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 9:28 am
(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 9:31 am - Reeseville, WI
You're right.  These things aren't likely to happen and if they do I'll deal with them like I deal with everything else that comes along in life.  Just being a worry wart.
ChristyTal
on 9/8/11 10:19 am
Surgery or no, we could all drive ourselves nuts thinking about what "could happen."  I could wreck my car.  I could have a heart attack.  I could die in a plane crash....best just to not let our minds go there for no reason!

Elizabeth N.
on 9/8/11 9:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
Do you have a diagnosis of panic disorder?

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 9:55 pm - Reeseville, WI
Yes, I do have a panic disorder, BPD, and PTSD.  I work on it and it's better than it used to be, but even with lots of meds and therapy it still rears it's ugly head now and then.
Elizabeth N.
on 9/9/11 12:44 am - Burlington County, NJ
That makes perfect sense then. This sounds totally like the kind of intrusive thought that would be typical to that cluster of psych issues. If you find it happening more often, it's time to do some therapy work on that particular issue. Or a meds adjustment, or both, whatever is appropriate for your situation.

Nissa_M
on 9/8/11 12:12 pm - TX
I find myself doing the same thing. It's overwhelming when I sit and think about it and I have regrets for a few minutes. I've always been an excellent worrier and have gray hairs at 31 to prove it. :0/ I also go through the pros and remind myself it may never happen. I plan to talk to my surgeon about it some and see if he has percentages to put my mind at ease. I just hate feeling like a ticking time bomb, even though I know I was one previously and we all are in a way.

Anyway, you're not alone. I hope we can both relax and enjoy our new realities without fear. :0)
Elizabeth N.
on 9/9/11 12:49 am - Burlington County, NJ
The perspective is rather different once you've had that time bomb of obesity go off. The same thing might be true for anyone who's weathered a health "bomb explosion."

Learning to live with being medicalized is part of the challenge we face with any WLS, but especially with the DS.

Jennifer D.
on 9/8/11 12:45 pm
Sometimes I wish I hadn't had so many surgeries and did not have so much metal in my body - had jaws done in 85, tubal ligation, 3 WLS and gall bladder. I also feel like I am seeing some downsides to the DS posted "everywhere" since having it finally completed. I can't say I regret it but still wish I could have lost weight 'naturally'. I can relate to how your thinking could evolve into what it has. I agree with the other posters that thinking about something going wrong when it hasn't is not productive and that type of negative thinking could actually lead you into trouble IMHO.
There's this great mantra I have been living by the last couple of months that keeps me centred. "If you are depressed, you're living in the past, anxious, you're living in the future, at peace, you are living in the present."
I think it may be helpful for you to talk to someone about your issues as well, maybe something else if fueling this? Finally, you can always have a reversal, so you do have some control.