Bouncing off a FB post - how old were you when you went on your first diet?

Julie R.
on 9/11/11 10:36 am - Ludington, MI
 I love how yous stated that you have a "love-love" relationship with food these days.  That's exactly how I feel!   I can put whatever I want in the shopping cart right now without being completely paranoid that someone is judging me by what I put in there!

My sister also had the DS - so no competition there - but it's my mom that I think is jealous.    She will not compliment me now to save her life, except to tell me that I'm too thin, and that women my age are not supposed to be that thin, that it's "unnatural."   
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Felicia S.
on 9/8/11 11:56 am - Lincoln, NE
I was 22 after the birth of my first son.  I did the Sweatin' to the Oldies and the Richard Simmons Deal a Meal.  I lost about 30 pounds and was ecstatic :)  Still overweight, but happy with my results.  That was probably the most I ever lost at once.  Just lost the same 20 pounds over and over over the years...but gained more than the 20.
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

Nina E.
on 9/11/11 10:30 am
OMG Deal a Meal!  I spent soo much money on fad diets and workout stuff. no more. it's funny when I ee that stuff on tv. I jsu****ch and think how blessed I am to be free of that. Everytime I lost i gained an extra 20 til i got to 322. I am 166 now. I lost half of me. 40lbs was the most i lost on Power Protein diet.

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!

Elizabeth N.
on 9/8/11 11:58 am - Burlington County, NJ
I was seven and in second grade. It was 1,000 calories a day and based on diabetic exchanges from a one page list.

Next one was WW in fourth grade, then again in sixth grade.

In the summer between sixth and seventh grade, I broke my arm and spent a few days in the hospital. The doctor grabbed the opportunity to order another 1,000-calorie diet. I was well past puberty, 5-5 and weighed about 150-160.

In seventh grade I was the gym teacher's pet project, both for weight loss and for evangelism.

Let's see, first attempt at TOPS was in there somewhere. "Ayds Candies" diet was before 6th grade. OA appeared after 8th grade, which was when I started seeing a recovery-minded counselor, herself a very ****** up 12-stepper. Dexatrim was early senior high school, I think. Maybe earlier.

My first ruptured ovarian cyst happened end of 8th grade. I had horrible cystic acne much earlier, starting in fourth grade or so.  Episodes of shakes, headaches and fainting we all recognize now as hypoglycemia throughout high school.

Graduated high school weighing maybe 190 at 5-7 and believing I was a blimp.

Nina E.
on 9/11/11 10:32 am
When I was 21 I was 5 7" and 189 and thought I was a blimp. I hated gym with a passion.

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!

Jolly Rancher
on 9/8/11 11:59 am
I was 12-13 when I first did weigh****chers. I remember my first follow up meeting and people standing up and clapping that I had lost a certain amount of weight for my age. I was mortified!!!!!!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
honeybadger 11
on 9/8/11 12:18 pm - FL

I was about 10 when i began to pack on the lbs because of puberty. My first diet was 2 tbsp of apple vinegar before every meal. I remember gagging try to get that stuff down, then it was on to the grapefruit diet:)

My relationship with food has always been terrible and i cant say that i know where it came from..that would be why im in therapy! i would eat privately, hide food and get emotional and even cry if something i had wanted was eaten by someone else.

When i became a teenage starvation was my friend and the gym. My first gym membership i was 15  (i had been working out at my house since 12) and i became obsessive with feeling hungry and working out all the time. MY lowest weight ever was at 16 of 190 5ft7in:( 

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

MsBatt
on 9/8/11 12:42 pm
My first doctor-supervised diet was at 9, my first prescription diet pills---phentermine---at 11. Looking back, I wasn't even really FAT---just pudgy. Probably because I went through puberty early, and grew these ENORMOUS breasts! I swear I went to sleep one night flat-chested, and got up with C-cups. At 11, I was wearing a 36C and my classmates were wearing training bras.
Twyla S.
on 9/8/11 1:25 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 I grew up in a "fat" family.  It almost seemed normal to me to never have sweets or fattening foods, but remember watching my mother scarf down TONS of food and sweets.  It was like, idk, maybe she was trying to help us girls not to end up like her.   I was the oldest child, so when she started WW, I was drug along (I was about 8), OA...right beside her......she'd have me doing all the Richard Simmons workout stuff....then lets see.....it was the "Dolly Parton Diet", The grapefruit diet, vegetarian diet, some type of soup diet, and a million low calorie diets.   In my teens, I kind of developed an obsession with exercise and ended up hospitalized and then having my leg put into a cast from my overdoing exercise.  That's probably one of the main reasons I hate taking nerve or pain meds, I got addicted to exercise, so I've always been afraid I'd become addictied to something else.   My mother was a very wise, smart and beautiful woman, so it's almost as though I lived all my fat problems through her.  I remember her putting clothes in the layaway at the "fat" store, and then getting them home and them not fitting.  I'll never forget her tears and her anguish over being heavy.  I've never wanted to be fat, and I've done diets quite a bit over the years, but I've NEVER felt like I was less of a person for being fat.  I don't know....I guess I watched how it affected my mother, and how bad she felt about herself, that I decided it wouldn't do it to me.  It still breaks my heart to think of all the years she spent thinking she was NOTHING, when she was so much more than her weight to everyone who knew her.
(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 2:19 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I was an active teenager, walking miles from school every day, as well as an hour of gym daily, then one day my mother brought home a scale. I got on it and it showed me at 5'10" to weigh
165#.

Of course, my mother told me I was fat. I shouldn't weigh more than 145#. Not a bad weight if I were 2" shorter.

So I was given a lifelong "diet" mentality; I was always too fat, too tall, too "not good enough" just being myself.

I did the diet pills, the shots, fasting, you name it, then when I had my first baby I went to WW, and dieted myself from 185# up to my weight of 365# plus forty years later.

It doesn't help that my food intake was primarily white carbs, because that is the basis for the American food market.

I definitely refrained from telling either of my children anything about their weight, didn't force them to clean up their plates, and encouraged them to do a lot of outdoor activities. Fortunately, neither of them have a weight problem.

Just lucky, I guess.