PRE-Surgery Diet Help please

freebirdmich
on 9/8/11 6:35 am - MI
 Today is day two of the two week pre-op diet that my Surgeon put me on....
Yesterday was really hard and today I woke up with a migraine. The foods they make you eat
are from their own store at the office and some aren't too bad, HOWEVER. some are just really hard to get down! lol
my question is this, Does anyone have any recommendations for doctoring up these borderline UN-edible protien dishes? Everything tastes and smells pretty bad. 
I have already learned NOT to smell the stuff before preparing it lol,..
My main thing is the omelet mix that I have, I have a lot of it and need to make it work some how. 
The first time I ate it I had a little bit of taco bell sauce with it. DIDN"T HELP! haha
so any suggestions would be apprectiated. Keep in mind it has to be pretty much calorie free. Am I dreaming here? 
Surgery is in 12 days!!!!!!!!!! omg, I cannot believe this!
Julie R.
on 9/8/11 7:40 am - Ludington, MI
Your time is getting near!!!!!     I was a raging, nasty, evil ***** the entire two weeks.    I don't know if you still do the chicken broth, but I made egg drop soup out of mine.  I know it's not calorie free, but it was carb free.   I still lost weight anyway, and it took the edge off my hunger.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

no_more_rolls
on 9/8/11 8:30 am - Jackson, MI
I'm not sure which items you have, but I agree a lot of it is NASTY! I just added less water to get the things down quicker...and gulped. Post-op I can not tolerate it at all!!! Your surgery date will be here before you know it and this will be a memory of how hard you worked for the DS.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

teachmid
on 9/8/11 8:34 am - OKC, OK
I have no advice because I didn't have a pre-op diet, wanted to say congratulations for your big date.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

meredith_123
on 9/8/11 9:06 am - Waterford, MI
I'm on the same diet right now, 3 more days of it, my surgery is Monday.  I know it really sucks. 
I didn't get the omlets, I've been eating the oatmeal that's not too terrible.  I also have the cereals which aren't to bad.  If you live close, maybe you could buy a pack of cereal or oatmeal instead of using the omlets. 
Have you tried adding any spices to them?  I've tried adding garlic powder and pepper to most of the nasty dinners and it makes them a little better. 

Did you read the how to spice it up section of the packet they gave you?  I went back and read that after a couple days of suffering through this process.  You can also add 2 tablespoons of salsa per day to something.  I found that worked good in the nasty tomato basil soup, also added some chili powder to make it taste better. 

Good luck, it will go by fast.  At least it has for me.  I have also been drinking a ton of crystal light to keep myself full.  Oh, and I make a snow cone almost every night and flavor it with concentrated crystal light.  That's pretty much calorie free, but feels like another meal, it's almost like I'm cheating.
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
lk1970
on 9/8/11 10:11 pm
Good luck on Monday! Will someone let us know how youre doing? do you need an angel?

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

meredith_123
on 9/9/11 10:57 am - Waterford, MI
Thanks Lisa!!  I can't wait to get this over with.  My husband is going to be there with my laptop, so I figured I'd  have him post an update for me when I get out of surgery. 
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
freebirdmich
on 9/8/11 3:10 pm - MI
 Thank you all so much for the responses! I have another appointment there on Wed so I will pick up some more of the pancake mix for sure! thats my fave! 
I also don't mind the soups much. I'm actually still doing okay. Haven't really gone off on anyone yet haha. 
My daughter wanted pizza from Little Cesars last night and I told her she'd have to have her uncle drive her and keep the damn bread sticks over at my mothers! (next door) If I would have smelled them I would have been done! lol
Today I am feeling confused and a little overwhelmed because of a friend of my mothers. 
she stopped over today and made me second guess my decision to do this. It ****** me off really, I mean she was like, well I used to weigh 220 lbs and look at how much I lost! 
(she's been doing a low carb diet for a couple of years now) and she has done well. But does she really think I haven't tried that? and a million other things?!?!?! 
she said, BUt you don't need to lose that much and they are messing with your insides. 
and then another friend said, its not the way God intended for your body to be! ughhhhhhhh
I don't think God intended for me to be this way either!. Okay, I'm done, sorry, Had to vent. 
Good luck with your surgery on Monday by the way! I will be thinking of you. If you think about it pop on as soon as you are up to it and let us know how you are. :)
elixir
on 9/8/11 3:14 pm - MI
I didn't hate the omelet, but I didn't love it either. It wasn't the most offensive of the pre-packaged items. I added a bit of hot sauce here and there to make things palatable. Going thru GHPs six month medical diet gave me the opportunity to try a lot of things and decide what I did and didn't like before deciding what to select for my two week pre-op diet.

I think I spent my two weeks eating the vanilla cereal or maple oatmeal for breakfast, vanilla cappuccino or hot cocoa for morning snack, broccoli or tomato soup for lunch, cinnamon or jalapeno pretzels or snack mix for afternoon snack, turkey chili, oriental chicken or spaghetti and meatballs for dinner and either a protein shake or protein gelatin for evening snack. I worked a turkey jerky stick in here or there and maybe an additional snac****asionally too depending on the calorie count for that day.

It wasn't easy in the beginning, but by the end I was so focused on getting it over with so I could get on with my surgery and my life that it seemed like a minor inconvenience. If you're able to maybe drop by GHP and pick up some of the items that I mentioned. I think that they're the best of the pre-packaged blah. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

freebirdmich
on 9/8/11 3:30 pm - MI
 Thank you! I am making a list for my trip back up there Wed. :)