Insight /Advise needed (poop after Flagyl)

strawberry28
on 9/8/11 5:40 am, edited 9/8/11 5:47 am - somewhere, MD
Hi all, Question need advise. TMI Warning:

Was having some stomach gas issues. Surgeon gave me a prescription for Flagyl and 2 other strong antibiotics (Erythromycin and Neomycin)  to take together during a 18 hour period to kill everything in my gut. Now I've been off the antibiotics since Sunday and every BM is very loose diarrea like. Have not introduced any white flour or sugar into my diet since the clean out. How can I get things to bulk up? I take one Primal defense Ultra daily, as well as all my other vits. Been eating triscuits and other very fiber cardbord crackers too. Feel like I'm losing everything I put in, not happy. Any advise? Will this pass as the good flora comes back or what?

SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

Nina E.
on 9/8/11 9:33 am
strawberry28
on 9/8/11 10:13 am - somewhere, MD
Hi thanks for the reply. A little background. I went to Peru in June and eate something funky and had bad stomach GI issues for over a week. When I got home things were never quite the same. I was one who can eat anything and nit get as and am below goal currently. Then all the sudden I was having horrible gass and bloating. Doctor Put me on this clean out protocol he calls it. So only meats and vegetables and no yeast, white flour , dairy.... So hard to find stuff to eat as I want to desperately get back to my norm of not being effected with gas every time I eat.

I wanted to know if it is normal to still have the loose stools this many days after stopping Flagyl. I ask as this is my first time taking this medication. As of now, I can eat 2 steaks and it will come out diarrea...just was unsure if I should be concerned. Most tell me now that the loose stool is common for up to 2 weeks after such a clean out.

Thanks again

SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

Nina E.
on 9/8/11 10:45 am

Gotcha!

Thanks for not getting upset with me. I don't have experience with Flagyl :(  I had Flagyl once and never got diarreah.

You mentioned being in south america. Is your stool green, foamy and smells really bad? or did it before the Flagyl? It may be Giardia Lamblia. A parasite gotten from not clean water or ice cubes.

Hopefully a veteran dser comes along and has insight.

:) What did your doctor who put you on all those antibiotics think it was? It's no wonder you have diarreah. that is alot for your system to handle. My instinct still says not to eat the crackers right now.

is the diarreah watery? if so, i would talk to your surgeon tomorrow for sure before the weekend.

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!