Woke up choking last night

Lori F.
on 9/7/11 6:15 am - Chula Vista, CA
I have a band and this happens to me on occassion. For me it's GERD and the damn band...and it's scary and gross. See the doc.
Jennifer D.
on 9/7/11 7:35 am

I will, thank you. This was the craziest acid experience ever.

Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
J G.
on 9/7/11 4:23 pm
Jennifer, sorry hon, I know you were scared. 

Dr G had me on Prilosec 2 times a day.  I couldn't have survived without it.  As I recall I stayed on that dosage for a long time - maybe 5 months.  Then was able to take it down to once a day.  And then none.  I think I started on Nexium till insurance nixed it.  Prilosec was OTC.  

This year I had a bout of gastritis and the gastro doc said it was okay to take Mylanta between the Prilosec doses, so it would be 2 hrs separated from Prilosec.

Hope you feel better.  Hugs, Jenny 
Jennifer D.
on 9/7/11 10:15 pm
Hi Jenny, after my operation last time he had prescribed me Prilosec x2, but not this time. I'll just have to see my PCP. Thanks : ).
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
newyorkbitch
on 9/7/11 10:48 pm, edited 9/7/11 10:49 pm
Jennifer,  try going to prilosec (omeprazole) 2x per day.  If that does the trick...you solved the problem.  I take it twice a day....totally works.  Once a day was not enough.  You don't need to see a doctor to try this.  It's OTC.
Jennifer D.
on 9/7/11 11:46 pm
So much different advice - lol. I didn't realize that omeprazole was prilosec. I took it last night before dinner and when I woke up this morning so maybe this will work. (I didn't realize that acid reflux could basically make you throw up in your mouth : (  - has happened while awake yesterday and today). Last night was better.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
newyorkbitch
on 9/8/11 12:53 am, edited 9/8/11 12:53 am
Omeprazole is the generic name.  Prilosec is a brand name for omeprazole.

If you read the OTC prilosec package,  you'll see that it's omeprazole.

Glad to know increasing to twice a day is helping so far.  Did the trick for me.  Keep it up - takes a few days for the reflux to disappear (if it's going to).

By the way once in a blue moon I get "breakthrough reflux" even with the twice-daily dose, like if I eat ultrahot-spicy Thai food for example.  So now when I am going to eat something like that,  I add in a ranitidine (generic for zantac) before the  meal.

Also Jennifer,  look at your prescription bottle - I'd be surprised if it's not generic omeprazole.  (FWIW,  I always read prescriptions and the resulting bottle labels very carefully - it's a good idea)