Woke up choking last night

Jennifer D.
on 9/6/11 11:43 pm
I was likening it to 'getting the foamies' when I had RNY, either that or those teen years when you wake up sick to your stomach after a night of drinking :o(. I will try to keep a distance between my last fluid consumption (still on fluids) and bed.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
michelehei
on 9/7/11 12:04 am
 Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear what happened.  I had a few episodes like that after my VBG years ago.  Really scary.
I have found that the best prescription PPI (after trying about half a dozen) is Dexilant.  It's a fairly new drug within the past few years.  

You had surgery the day before me.  Were you at Rockland?  Just wondering why you haven't advanced your diet yet?  I am eating soft foods now.  How are you feeling?  I am still pretty weak but feeling better each day.
Enjoy the rest of the day!
Jennifer D.
on 9/7/11 7:21 am
Thanks Michele. My doctor likes it when I walk in with a possible solution. PPIs are sooo expensive, I hope to have a long term soon so I get prescription coverage.

I was at Hopital Sacre Coeur where revisions from Ontario must be done because there's an ICU. I have advanced my diet a bit- have tried soft foods once every other day or so. I am really afraid after having multiple surgeries that I am going to fail so I am trying to take more time on fluids to lose weight early on. I am feeling really well. I went back to work (pd day) 8 days after surgery.
Why do you think you're feeling weak? He did your surgery laproscopically? Are you getting in vitamins?

Thanks, it's been a wet, lazy day.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
larra
on 9/7/11 12:16 am - bay area, CA
Definitely sounds like reflux. Some great suggestions already, and keep in mind that if you take your PPI just before dinner, it will be at maximum strength during the night, when you need it most. So one dose at the right time may be enough, but if not, try twice daily.
     And limiting food/fluids near bedtime will help also, of course.

Larra
Jennifer D.
on 9/7/11 7:22 am
Thanks Larra
I am going to try that, he prescribed it for first thing in the morning. It will save me $$ to try changing the time of day before adding another dose.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/11 3:05 am - San Jose, CA

My own comments - I have both GERD/reflux and have had gastritis, which seem to have opposite suggested treatments.

I CANNOT go to sleep with an empty stomach, or I wake up in the middle of the night puking from hunger and my stomach trying to eat itself.  But I also have to eat a bit carefully before bedtime - it has to be mild, not spicy.  And I take the maximum dose of Protonix twice a day.

But I feel for you with the stomach acid getting into your airway - it is impossible to stop coughing when that happens and it HURTS.

Jennifer D.
on 9/7/11 7:34 am
When I had my RNY I had to eat very close to bed time or my sugar would fall and I would not be able to sleep. I was using Glucerna as my shake before bed and I slept soo well. I will ask my doctor about Protonix and the other PPI mentioned above and see what he says.

When I woke up last night I had no clue what was going on, what the fluid was in my mouth and throat, the first time was the worst. When I woke up the second time at least I knew it wasn't blood or anything too horrible. Yeah, it hurt!!
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
J G.
on 9/7/11 4:30 pm

My own comments - I have both GERD/reflux and have had gastritis, which seem to have opposite suggested treatments.

Diana, you've got me curious.  What was your suggested treatment for gastritis.  Mine was pretty much the same.  A PPI.  Eating would temporarily help.

-Jenny

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/11 4:49 pm - San Jose, CA

That was pretty much it.  I took my PPI, and eat before going to sleep.  At one point, I changed PPIs from Aciphex to Protonix.  I haven't puked at night for quite a while now - at least a year.  For several months, I was waking up nauseated about once a week, and it would progress to puking about 1/2 the time. 

Any problem that has eating as the answer is OK by me!

J G.
on 9/8/11 3:36 am
Any problem that has eating as the answer is OK by me!

LOL  me too!  My gastritis has gone bye-bye (yaaay!)  but I still eat before going to bed.  Guess now I have a good excuse!  Thanx