Help getting my life back.

kat81
on 9/7/11 2:24 am, edited 9/7/11 2:25 am
The first 24-48 hours after coming off TPN I would have thought your doc would advise clear liquids until bowel sounds are audible in all four abdominal quadrants. Is your doc stepping you right onto solids?
MARTINA P.
on 9/7/11 5:21 am - ROCKMART, GA
 I am still on TPN because my nutrients is so bad and fact that I can only swallow small amounts.  I do have audible bowel sounds and strangely enough I have had bowel sounds every since I had my first surgery.  I'm just finally to the point when I am able to get somethings down.  When I have EDG's done I have to do clear liquid for 24 hours .  Thanks for concerns.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

kat81
on 9/7/11 1:57 pm
I see :)

Have you tried...
chicken/beef/fish broth
egg whites
greek yogurt
cream based soup

Does the food reach your stomach before you vomit?

(God bless you.  I'll keep you in my prayers)
MARTINA P.
on 9/8/11 12:06 am - ROCKMART, GA
 I do not have a stomach but when I vomit the food sometimes come back.  Chicken do not set well.  Yogurt just make me gag.  Cream based soup gives me gas.  I am continuing to try new things and attempt foodds that did not set well again.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Chad M.
on 9/8/11 6:40 am - Indianapolis, IN
 That does not sound crazy at all. It sounds like exactly what I went through after I got rid of my TPN and PICC line at about 2.5 months out.

As much as I hated that PICC line and dealing with everything, it was a safety net. It kept me alive when food and liquids wouldn't pass and would always make me vomit. It became a comfort not to have to worry about whether I could keep something down.

Up until the very day I had that line pulled, getting in enough liquids was iffy for me. Since I didn't actually NEED to do it, it was hard to find the motivation. You might find that when the line is gone, you will find some motivation too. And, your body will not be nourished anymore so eating and drinking will become a biological necessity, and hopefully your body will cooperate.

For liquids, experiment with texture, taste, and temperature. Cold liquids closed my stomach off for a LONG time, but I could drink hot chicken broth all day long. Plain water did not sit well in my stomach, but diluted crystal light was fine. Keep trying things until you find a go-to liquid that you can drink no matter what.

Stick to any guidelines your surgeon gives you of course, but definitely lean towards softer foods in the beginning. I pureed everything in a blender and put turkey gravy on it to help things go down. Just like liquids, you need to find some go-to foods. Cottage cheese was mine in the beginning. I ate it so much that I'm still tired of it, but it got me through a rough time.

Hang in there! Before you know it you will be eating and drinking like nobody's business. You just have to get over this rough patch first.