Help getting my life back.

MARTINA P.
on 9/6/11 7:24 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Hello everyone.  I am finally to a point that I believe I can start with a routine to help me be successful.  I need some ideas especially from people who have had complications on how to get my routine started with eating and drinking.  Right now I have Picc line for TPN and a feeding tube.  According to GI I am finally opened up and should be able to start on regular food down.  I know this might sound crazy but I think I am afraid to eat and drink which is keeping me from eating.  I tell you another thing I do not even know what sound good to me anymore.  I have plenty of protein.  I need some suggestions on what to take to work when I go back in 1 ½ weeks and what I might be able to eat and enjoy right now.  I am determining to get rid of this Picc and J tube because I want my life back now.  I need the support and kick in butt that only other WLS patients can give.  Plus I know that there Is a lot of knowledge on here.  
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Jolly Rancher
on 9/6/11 7:51 am
I kind of understand your struggle, though I went through nothing like you! I did have a good year (and still struggle to this day) of vomiting, and after a while you feel very out of place, and nervous to eat. At least I did. I felt like a bandster. Like I needed to locate the restroom before eating, being worried about what people would think. I made it through, but still, I struggle. Just last week, I found myself excusing myself during 2 meetings to vomit. TMI, I'm sure.

One staple that always worked for me, besides all the junky, carby stuff, was cheese. I ate a lot of string cheese. Another thing that generally always worked for me was very crispy bacon. I hate cottage cheese and ricotta, but I think those would be good to start off with as well. Oh, and refried beans. Those always did well, too. Maybe some packs of tuna (yuck) or cans of the chicken chunks - those seems to be moist and tender. Sugar free jello and puddings. Might not give you any protein, but might help get you back on the eating track in general.

Go slow, don't overdo it. I'm sure others will be along with suggestions as well.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Mdae
on 9/6/11 8:04 am
i would start with soft things that have tons of flavor, so that your appetite gets a little encouragement.  i didn't have any complications, but very early out i loved those single serving packets of cream cheese.  i figured it would turn to liquid once it was in and be super easy.  you can also do fluff for sweet cravings, and work your way up to some soft scrambled eggs and super mayo-y tuna. 

MARTINA P.
on 9/6/11 8:16 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Thanks for the wisdom.  I keep trying scrambled eggs with cheese once a week and can not ever eat more than 1 or 2 tiny bites before it hit like a ton of bricks.  What did you eat cream cheese with or did you eat it by it self I love cream cheese so I am curious.

MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

Mdae
on 9/6/11 8:23 am
those single-servings of cream cheese from costco were just about the perfect size starting out, and i ate them by themselves.  try egg-drop soup instead of full-on scrambled, maybe?  you can get a mix for it in the ethnic food section of the grocery store, or you can use the flavoring from a ramen packet and just whisk in an egg or two as it boils.

if you haven't tried fluff, i highly recommend it, it really satisfies a sweet craving and isn't jello or popsicles!  i love butterscotch and cheesecake flavor.  (ricotta cheese thrown in a blender with some sugar free pudding mix and a little cream - you can add some torani syrup if you want as well, but don't have to).

Julie R.
on 9/6/11 9:50 am - Ludington, MI
Cream cheese doesn't have much protein in it at all, but it MIGHT help you with your egg problem.   Stir a good glob of cream cheese into your eggs as you scramble them.  They go down much easier that way.   If you're really in a creative mood, add a few chives too.

I also buy really nice quality ham, roast beef or salami, and roll cream cheese up inside of it.   You could also make some sugar free crustless cream cheese cupcakes.    

Also, soy crisps go down really well.....they have a good shot of protein in them, so I don't mind that they are a few extra carbs.   I spread herbed goat cheese on the sea salt soy crisps.   Yum!    When I was a baby DS'er, seasoned taco meat topped with cheese and sour cream went down really well too.     I really craved flavorful, not bland foods as a post-op (and still do!) so I got into stuff like hot and sour soup also.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Catnip
on 9/6/11 12:39 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 Try your eggs with a side of ketchup.  The ketchup breaks the heaviness.

If you are finding eggs with cheese hard ot eat then remove the cheese and just eat the egg to start.

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

MARTINA P.
on 9/6/11 12:47 pm - ROCKMART, GA
 CNC 

I have try to eat the eggs without cheese and thy are still heavy .  I will try it with ketchup and see if it helps.

MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

BBoop
on 9/7/11 12:49 am
I LOVE eggs....but early out they sat like a ton of bricks in my stomach and I flet like I could throw up.  Wait on the eggs...eventually you can eat them, just not now.  Believe me, I tried them all different ways.

How about just eating the cream cheese by itself.  You can't eat more than a bite or two maybe a little more just enjoy the flavor.

Hang in there, you will be able to eat and I promise this bump (it will seem that way later on, I know it doesn't right now) will pass.  I didn't have any tubes so I don't speak from experience but many people who did say the feeding tube was a life saver and so just use it to keep yourself nourished. 

Betty
MARTINA P.
on 9/6/11 8:11 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Janice,

Thanks for the suggestions I keep making egg salad eat a little and end up giving it to my neighbor who had RNY.  I do not like cottage cheese or tuna.  I am going to continue to try and start starting my morning with a protein coffee.  What is so strange is the fact that I use to drink 2 or 3 shakes a day before surgery and now Im struggling.  Thanks for your wisdom..

MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia