Question about traveling for DS

Gina1013
on 9/6/11 7:10 am, edited 9/6/11 7:15 am - Canton, OH
I have jumped off the RNY track (would have been getting surgery in the next 2 weeks!) and am now on track for DS.

From lurking around here for a few weeks and reading posts/blogs, I know that many of you have traveled a lot farther than I will be (4 hrs) and I was wondering how long you remained in the location of your surgery. afterwards? Thanks! 

I can't figure out how to change my surgeon's name. but I am going to Dr. John Maguire

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413

Victorious_one
on 9/6/11 7:47 am - South Central, PA
Hi there!  I traveled 3 hours for surgery.  I left the hospital and came right home, but had to turn around and go back two weeks later for a follow up appointment.  

Each doctor is a little different with how they like to do their follow ups, so ask in advance and schedule accordingly.  I'd say if you go home when you're released and you need a follow up within six weeks, make sure that someone drives with you.  
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Gina1013
on 9/6/11 8:15 am, edited 9/6/11 8:34 am - Canton, OH
 Thanks for responding. I wilol definitely not be driving myself :) I was wondering if this is the norm with surgeons...
The e-mail I received today from the Dr's office supervisor/surgery scheduler told me that i would, and I quote here: " have to remain in the Dayton area for some time after surgery (I believe 4 weeks minimum)."  
   I am editing to include the rest of her paragraph:
" I understand you are further away, however, we have had quite a few patients as far as Texas, Florida, Georgia, and very many patients in your area, come to see Dr. Maguire for this procedure (as he is very good at it J ) that the characteristics he looks for in a patients include the ability to be accessible for appointments no matter the distance or other obligations."

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/11 8:27 am, edited 1/27/12 3:46 am
Elizabeth N.
on 9/6/11 11:11 pm - Burlington County, NJ
4 weeks is likely an outside time frame in case something isn't quite right.

Dr. Greenbaum here in NJ does not require patients to stay that long. If the 4 weeks is set in stone for Dr. Maguire, he is another surgeon worth looking into.

Gina1013
on 9/7/11 9:33 am - Canton, OH
 Thank you Elizabeth!
BTW...the links that you have in your signature have been really helpful to me, so a BIG thanks for those!

Jolly Rancher
on 9/6/11 8:32 am
Congratulations on rethinking your decision! I think you won't be disappointed. I also would think that 4 hours doesn't really qualify as being very far away. I would discuss with your surgeon, but I see absolutely no reason you shouldn't be released to go straight home at that distance. Maybe he will want you to hang around a day or two after that, up to a week, but beyond that just seems excessive. Definitely talk it over with him.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Gina1013
on 9/6/11 8:40 am - Canton, OH
Yeah, I know that 4 hrs isn't really far...especially compared to how far others have traveled!! I am lucky! 
I thought that the 4 weeks seemed long, but I am willing to do it, if need be!  I will discuss this when I go there next week!

DianaRR
on 9/6/11 8:49 am - CA
I didn't have to travel, but I recall my doctor's information said to stay in the area for 10 days after surgery--which is only about a week after you get out of the hospital.
I think they have a valid concern that if you have any complications you want to see your surgeon--and if you go home and have to go to the ER, it would be a problem.
I sure wouldn't have wanted to ride 3 hours in a car just a week out of the hospital.
Fran-I Am
on 9/6/11 9:02 am, edited 9/6/11 9:03 am
Hey Gina, are you sure it's not 2 weeks post op?

ETA
Ask Dr Maguire yourself when you see him to be sure what he wants.

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#