Was your DS surgery out-of-town, if so were you able...

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/11 2:09 pm
I traveled from Wyoming to Texas for my surgery.  My pre-op testing was done at home and the reports were sent to my surgeon.  I did have to do a few last minute tests...blood work and chest x-ray to make sure I was infection free before surgery. No big deal, really.  They just did the tests at the hospital while I was pre-registering.  My insurance did not cover my revision from band to DS.  They claimed it was "investigational", and would not budge on their ruling, even though I sent them proof that it was not investigational.  I would gladly pay for it myself again.
beemerbeeper
on 9/4/11 2:36 pm - AL
I did most of my pre-op hoop jumping in my own town or by phone.  Most (all?) of the DS surgeons are well acquainted with working with out of town patients.

~Becky

rbb825
on 9/4/11 6:34 pm - Suffern, NY
I  had RNY but it wasn't local.  I was deciding between 2 surgeons - one required me to go to his hospital for all preop testing and the other said I could do it locally -just preop testing had to be done at hospital of the surgery.  So, I chose the second surgeon - they were both equally as good.  I went for my consult with the surgeon and he gave me a list of all the tests and consults I needed and then he gave me prescriptions for whatever was necessary.  I proceeded to have everything done near where I live.  There really is no need to have to go out of town for most of the preop testing and consultations.

walter A.
on 9/4/11 10:06 pm - lafayette, NJ
noting that your doctor is M bessler, he doesn't do the DS, his group participated in my pre op, and also refered me to Dr Anthone.
J J the Jet Plane
on 9/5/11 2:54 am
I switched surgeries and surgeons in my decision process and started with a CoE-who didn't do the DS, but the sleeve, had my psych eval and other tests and scans done with them before I switched surgeons. I played hell getting my  medical records.  I finally had to go to their office with self stamped envelopes and request what I needed.  It got ugly.  Seven requests I gave them before I drove over there to send my info or fax it or whatever.  I also got a copy for myself of everything my pcp had for me and everything the Sleeve doc had on me.  It took me two months to get their medical records sent and if I would not have marched in there one day- who knows.

Seeing as you are going out of town you will need your PCP to be on your side and helping you with this process before and especially after.  Once your surgery is over its you and your PCP figuring out your health care from then on out.  My advice is contact the doc you want to see out of town and see what they require and use your PCP and get your insurance requirements, they will help you.

JJ
Shavonne P.
on 9/5/11 7:34 am
All my pre-op tests were done locally except my psych eval.  I had to do that with my surgeons preferred psych.  All pre-op tests and lab results were sent directly to my surgeon with no issues.  It was a good way to keep my PCP in the loop as well since DS is new to him.
Nothing feels better than being able to go into ANY store and fit their clothes!