MORE INFO PLEASE!

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/11 6:46 am
Twi light
on 9/5/11 6:59 am - NY
Let say that you do have to take 20 plus a day, is this a big deal for you ? Something you can not adjust to live with?

I took 16 to 20 pills a day, of vitamins, when i was actively working out and losing weight on my own in 2005. I felt GREAT, and the vitamins had a lot to do with it. I always had chronic low D levels for example even before any surgery so taking vitamins was no big deal to me. I dont care if i have to take 100 pills a day, i space them out and do the best i can. 

Just so you know, getting the RNY does not exempt you from taking vitamins. My neighbor had an RNY 10 years ago, never took vitamins and is now having problems with her iron (she gets infusion) and with her bones and teeth b/c she never took calcium. It is silly to think  taking vitamins is a big deal, especially considering that you should take them ANYWAY, surgery or not.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/5/11 7:08 am - Tuvalu

Oh...I just read your profile.  You'd RATHER have the LapBand because it's not permanent.

That means you are not yet ready for wls.  You are still in a place where you are negotiating with yourself.  "Maybe I could have it for a WHILE and then I'd be okay," that kind of thing.  I suspect that in the back of your mind, if you are honest with yourself, you cannot imagine a world in which you cannot use food the way you are using it  now.  So a temporay, adjustable, reversible product sounds great...because that way you will still have food as that "ace in the hole" you are using it for right now.

For the past ten years my sister has been saying, "Well, I do okay when there aren't all these emergencies, but then something awful happens and I get off track and then I regain and have to start over."  I love her dearly, but it's bull****  She kept insisting--to herself, because I wouldn't even listen to it--that in HER world, there would come a time whe no bad things that sent her running to food for comfort would happen and THEN Weigh****chers and Curves would help.  Again, bull****  And that's why she's almost 5'2" and weighs close to 325. 

You need to get real with yourself about what you are facing.  If your BMI is over 46, the band is VERY unlikely to help you much.  You NEED a more drastic solution.  If you want to waste you time and money and heartache trying for the LEAST likely solution to help you stay alive...that's your right.  But silly complaints about 20 vitamins to save your life just aren't even reasonable.
newyorkbitch
on 9/5/11 11:22 am
How old are you?  How many years have you been obese?
beemerbeeper
on 9/5/11 11:57 am - AL
You aren't ready for ANY surgery.  When you are ready you will see that taking responsibility for your health involves a lot more than just taking 20 vitamins a day.

I hope you won't get a lapband as it is a terrible surgery with very low success rates and very high complication rates.

When you are sick enough, or sick and tired enough of being obese, come back and we will explain more to you about the best surgical option available.

I wasn't ready until I was 50 years old so I understand.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/11 12:38 pm, edited 1/27/12 3:46 am
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/5/11 4:09 pm
Compared to the prescription pills/injections and breathing with a m/fing cpap machine every night, all that crap got tossed and I now don't take any prescription mediation, only vitamins/minerals. 

Between all the prescriptions to treat my mounting co-morbidities and cpap machine prior to my DS, I had to travel with a whole additional bag for all that **** Good riddance.

smileyjamie72
on 9/6/11 3:54 am - Palmer, AK

I have had the RNY for over 9 years, trying to get insurance approval for revision fom RNY to DS.

As for my current RNY vitamin regimine....... I take 3 prescription medications in the morning, and the rest are for my RNY.... total for my day.... for vitamins is: 17, and when I get my labs done next month, I might need to twek those.

So, a DS, to me, looks comparitively speaking....... pretty close, for vitamins.

The RNY and DS are both malabsorptive surgeries, but the DS has MUCH BETTER long term success than the RNY.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

BobbiesGirl Ree
on 9/6/11 8:55 am
I take 43 pills a day including pills for acid reflux,depression, hypothyroidism, allergies, chronic pain and 1 for my gall bladder, which I've kept.

If this seems like alot, well it is, its one of the prices i pay for having the switch.

my advice to you is to read some more about all the surgeries and decide what's more important- your long term health or taking pills. Good luck.
    Some girls are bigger than others.       ~The Smiths
   You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race.
                                                          ~Psychedelic Furs

:obscene-smokingweed: 
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/6/11 9:30 am
 I guess there's another thing I meant to mention about the pills that was a big deal to me.

First of all, I'm not trying to sell you on any surgery. If you know that you would not want to take 20 vitamins - or what ever you would need - you absolutely should not get RNY or DS. Period. 

That said, it wasn't just that my list of drugs / equipment was growing for stuff like blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, PCOS, degenerating joints, sleep apnea etc etc etc, it was that many of those drugs have side effects, often quite detrimental you your body, and many of them can shorten your life themselves. 

My liver and kidneys were taking a beating from some of my medications, and now my blood work shows that they are not only doing better, but in the case of my liver, has healed.