Why do people bash the DS surgery?

Julie R.
on 9/5/11 5:43 am - Ludington, MI
 NYB.....I agree with you, and one thing people don't understand is that even IF you take all your calcium, and your D, and your zinc, etc., etc., etc., you can still have issues.   I am dealing with pervasive problems from my chronic calcium malabsorption (it seems that I have crystal deposition arthritis, the confirmation of this pending a visit to a rheumatologist) despite very faithful adherence to my supplement regime.   Even though I have been diligent about taking my vitamins, because my endocrinologist dropped off the radar screen last year, I failed to follow up with another endo doc in a timely manner, and now THIS has reared it's ugly head.   It takes absolutely discipline and diligence on all counts - not just popping a handful of vitamins every day, but being proactive and independent in regard to seeking appropriate medical care, even when the medical establishment has absolutely no idea how to handle a situation such as this.

One question I have for you - do you feel it's now easier to "watch your carbs" or "watch what you eat" as it was pre-op?    Although I still consider myself a shameless carb **** and foodie, I do find it easier to cut back than I did as a pre-op.   My consumption of carbs (and all foods) actually does not seem to control me as greatly as it did previously.   The enormous pressure seems to be off, and that relentless drive to eat is not as profound.    I still have "meh" food days, and if something doesn't taste perfect to me now, I will not senselessly eat it until it's gone, as I did.    I think this helps.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Jolly Rancher
on 9/5/11 6:07 am
To add to this, it's very hard to get through to some people on just how diligent one must be with labs, vitamins, etc. If they don't want to hear it, they just don't. Drives me crazy. I have 2 IRL DS friends, and "know" 2 others that are very lax with their vitamins. They just know that they feel fine now and have no concerns. I have preached until I can't anymore. One told me the last time I talked to her that she had "worked up" to taking a multi (ONE) and a calcium (again, ONE) each day. She had asked me to send her a list 3 or 4 times, and I did. She is over 2 years out and I know right now she feels great, but I wonder how long it will last....... I'm on a soapbox here, but I get so angry at the people whose only concerns are getting skinny and looking good. They have no clue what they are in store for down the road. I have basically cut them and/or talking about the surgery out of my life because I can't deal with it. I've also asked other people to help me get through to them, to no avail.....These are the people who create the horror stories for other doctors to share.

Rant off, but still fuming inside.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Julie R.
on 9/5/11 6:10 am - Ludington, MI
 Grrrrrr......I'd probably have to get really strident with them....but then again, I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut about anything, LOL.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Jolly Rancher
on 9/5/11 10:47 am
Oh, and I should add, the one who has worked up to one multi and one calcium eats like **** and wonders why she poops all day long. I've told her and told her. She is more interested in finding a probiotic to take care of it. Good luck with that, yanno? I'm done with it, I can'****ch someone self destruct when they know what to do, you've provided advice a million times, and they can't be bothered to put in ANY effort!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
SirSamAlot
on 9/5/11 6:11 am - Ellenwood, GA
Thanks for that reply Julie. Even if I think I know alot for the DS, I still learn more and  will learn more as years go by. I forgot you can still do something right and a problem can still arise. Like having protected sex with a condom, but you can still catch a STD (this is an example). I could try to "watch my carbs", but that would only occur for like a day and then it is back to a free-for-all.

Samuel E. 
5'10
300 to 310lbs
A teenager seeking the VSG.

sweetpotato1959
on 9/5/11 9:49 am
 TRY increasing your B complex , increasing your lean protein...thn reducing your carbs... the B vitamins help the cravings... 
Denise
sweetpotato1959
on 9/5/11 9:48 am, edited 9/5/11 9:50 am
 People  bash what they don't understand...and don't want to understand..
         . another question... have you considered     ???? ...( I am assuming that you really need to have a gastric procedure.)..  that waiting until you are 20 and may not be on your parent's insurance...that insurance might not be available for you to buy, or that it might be so expensive as to not be affordable.
         The DS gas issues CAN be resolved!!!You do not have to always smell like a sulfur machine, or be hunting for those new carbon  fiber underware...I had them(gas issues)... .My hubby is so pleased... we no longer use three cans of air freshener in the bedroom in a week...
Denise
newyorkbitch
on 9/5/11 10:30 am
Gas issues can be improved on for some people, sometimes.  One thing that is important to remember is the DS is NOT one size fits all..different people develop different issues,  respond differently to different foods,  etc etc.
sweetpotato1959
on 9/6/11 1:54 am, edited 9/6/11 1:54 am
Exactly... NO SURGERY is a one size fits all. I believe that if you will continue to try different  things , you will find the root of your gas problem and there-by  be able to control it as I did.
       My surgery was done october 1994...to address the super-absorbption problems we have. It was not a DS, but a hybrid of several.different procedures. I have a pouched RNy with a colon resection...It is called "The Memphis By-Pass"..    and... I have  had many of the issues the Ds'ers and the RNY'ers have, plus some.
      It is really strange, that Mom and I had the same surgery, by the same surgeon...and each of us have different issues with our respective systems...she tolerates milk, and I don't, she tolerates more fat than I can.... I tolerate only ground chuck, she can use anything. I can eat chicken without problems, it makes her sick every time. ect.   She has also lost  168 lbs. and about 130 for me.
Denise