"Cutting Edge Med" on CBS Sept 7

orangecrushed
on 9/4/11 6:14 am - Triad, NC
 Hi all,
I don't know if this is airing on every CBS, or just a few... but it will be on my local network.  Earlier today, they posted this on Facebook:

"WFMY News 2 / Digtriad.com
A new form of experimental bariatric surgery called gastric plication is safer than traditional bariatric surgery. Learn about the procedure and other new, less-invasive methods for weight loss being developed when the Cutting Edge special Fighting the Fat airs Sept. 7. http://ow.ly/6jZim"

I think I've seen some threads about contraversy surrounding gastric plication on here.  It might be worth watching...

Here is the YouTube promo: www.youtube.com/watch

Nic

Sher Bear Mama
on 9/4/11 8:22 am
I looked this surgery up since I'd never heard of it.  Here is a bit more information if anyone is interested.  It doesn't interest me because I'd imagine it has some of the same weight loss issues as the gastric sleeve.

http://www.wlshelp.com/news/stomach-folding-surgery-shows-pr omising-weight-loss-results/ 
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/11 10:50 am
There are a lot of reasons why *I* would not want this surgery but the most important one to me is there are not enough studies to back up any of the claims. Long-term studies.

Michele
Jennifer D.
on 9/4/11 11:21 am, edited 9/3/11 11:23 pm

I imagine food getting caught in the folded stomach. I also think it will have the same issues as the early stomach stapling.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
gak
on 9/4/11 12:43 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
I have seen this before. I would not do it.. they fold the stomach and things can get stuck in the folds and cause problems. VSG would be a better choice for sure ! Of course, I think the DS is the best of all worlds all the way around.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

orangecrushed
on 9/4/11 12:48 pm - Triad, NC
 Yeah, I find it interesting that this is the one they'll be touting.  I hope they feature some real options with proven results.
Band to DS
on 9/7/11 11:10 am, edited 2/3/12 11:02 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!