Protein shakes that don't cause tummy aches

sweetpotato1959
on 9/4/11 8:23 am
 GNC has one called protein 95, it is soy based...I don't tolerate whey either.It can be mixed with lactose free milk, if you want to boost its protein even higher...It has 25 grams protein per serving and comes in choc, vanilla and strawberrry.  I like the chocolate one best, but often get the vanilla. I use  unsweetened koolaide powder and splenda to change the flavor to anything else....frozen fruit works to do this as well. 
 Hope this helps...
Raven300
on 9/4/11 11:53 am
 As mentioned earlier, it probably is the artificial sweetner that is added to the shakes. I had the exact same problem and after talking with the whey protein isolate manufacturer they suggested that I try the natural powder. It contains no sucralose (known in the USA sometimes as Splenda).  No sucralose, no problem.  Apparently many, many people have problems with this additive. 

I live in Australia at the moment and I get the protein shakes from Bulk Nutrients. If you check the ingredients between a flavored and a natural shake - you will see the difference.

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/protein/whey-protein-concentrate-wpc-20

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/protein/whey-protein-isolate-wpi

From reading the boards over the last year and a half I also learned that every person is different. If the whey protein isolate is giving you problems (even without the sucralose) then try a protein based on egg protein or rice protein.  You'll find one that works for you, just keep trying.
Lori F.
on 9/4/11 12:39 pm - Chula Vista, CA
OK- today is the perfect day to discuss this because I am nearly doubled over in gas pain right now. Here are the possible offenders:
Maltitol
Isotol
High Maltose Corn Syrup
Malodextrin (is this a sweetner?)
Aspartame

This is a list of the artificial sweetners I have consumed today and SOMETHING on the list has caused bloat, gas and a huge tummy ache. I have had no milk or milk products. THANK GOD for OH, or I never would have been able to narrow it down this far. Now I can play the elimination game... Thanks also for the natural suggestions...I love me some chocolate protein shakes but they ALL seem to annoy my belly. I have to keep trying! THANKS!!
J G.
on 9/4/11 5:13 pm
get rid of  #1 and 2  They seem to be bad for most everyone.  I have questions about maltodextrin.  It is a food additive that comes from a starch, either corn or wheat.  Maybe someone else will chime in on that one.  I do okay with corn syrup and Aspartame.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/4/11 5:47 pm - Tuvalu

Isotol is aka Mannitol
Malitol

-itol = sugar alcohol = "the debil"
rbb825
on 9/4/11 7:12 pm - Suffern, NY
some people that are lactose intolerant can eat cheese, yogurt, small amounts of ice cream but get terribly sick from milk.  They all have different degrees of lactose in them, milk has the most.  So, you might want to try using either lactaid milk or soy milk in your shakes and see what happens. You can also try lactaid pills since whey protein has some dairy in it.

If you got world according to eggface, you can get some great recipes for protein shakes.

Twi light
on 9/5/11 3:16 am - NY
malitol and the other -ol ending sweetners are sugar alcahols . THey are basically the devil for most people, even people without surgery

I get the worst  reactions from whatever is used in crystal light- nutrasweet , which i believe is aspartame.

I can tolerate SOME splenda and i have no problems with stevia but it doesnt taste just right to me. So what i do usually is if i need lets say 4 teaspoons  of sugar , i would do 2 splenda , 2 sugar or some stevia, like 1/16 of a teaspoon and then 1 teaspoon of sugar . For some reason it tastes better this way to me and stevia on it its own has a aftertaste that sometimes naseates me.

Most low carb products, like protein bars/cookies have sugar alcahols in them

Lori F.
on 9/5/11 12:30 pm - Chula Vista, CA
Thanks for all the -itol help. I was in such pain yesterday... I'm staying away from the -itols from now on. I drink Crystal Lite by the gallon so I don't think aspartame is the culprit. This is just such a relief...now I can start again with the protein shakes to find one that doesn't kill me. THANKS EVERYONE. SOrry for hijacking the post Sher!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 1:37 pm
Just wanted to reply to this. I was searching protein shake recipes and this site came up. I had the same issue trying to find the right protein powder. The only one that I can drink that gives me results and doesn't cause gastro-intestinal pain and the runs is Muscle Tech protech hardcore pro series. I'm a guy that does build up a d lean down phases. As a girl, don't worry about this making you muscly or bulky. Women need supplements, and heavy hevy weight lifting to get big. I would also avoid soy, as it affects estrogen levels in women.

I mix in a small, sliced, frozen banana (I buy a bunch, cut them up and ziploc them), metamucil (2 servings, clear, tasteless), 1/4 cup of milk, three large ice cubes. Blend it. You get a healthy milk shake that tastes amazing. I sometimes add pure cocoa powder as well. If the shake is too thick I'll add some water. This is good before ( for energy) or after high intensity cardio, or circuit weight training. The banana contains just enough sugar for your muscles, which are craving sugar for repair after a workout.

I also shop at GNC because if u buy something from them and you are unsatisfied or it doesn't agree with your tummy, you can return it in 30 days.

Another tip for those trying to lose weight, cardio on a treadmill only helps you to burn calories. It can also reduce the amount of muscle you have. Muscle is your best friend when trying to lose weight. So while a fast treadmill walk is great, if you have a gym membership, try those circuit workouts. They help maintain the muscle you have as long as you eat adequate protein.
Recent Topics