For the runners

PattyL
on 9/4/11 2:03 am
 I did the couch to 5K.  It works well and you can modify it to fit your abilities.

Hey, I thought it was applause but it was really my batwings flapping.  Seriously, don't ever use duct tape on anything that flaps.  Just don't do it.
KellyJTn
on 9/5/11 7:08 am - Oak Ridge, TN
Oh my goodness Patty, that gave me the most awesome visual ever! I will be sure to stay far far away from the duct tape, lol!! 

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Emily F.
on 9/4/11 4:14 am
I was 240 when I did C25K, mostly on a treadmill at the gym super early. There were only a few guys lifting weights and me. I did have to wear a garment to keep the skin from flying all over, but that settled when I lost weight. I don't run that much anymore, too hard on my knees but I jog/walk on a school track and do a lot of zumba toning and zumba regular. Anyway, what I was saying was here I am at 150 and just took my shirt off at zumba and wore just the sports tank. At first I thought everyone was going to stare at me but I was so hot. I did it and damn if I don't look good. Anyway, my point is its a process. Baby steps. Now you go out there and run at 190, next thing you know, you'll be 150 in a sports tank.
KellyJTn
on 9/5/11 7:10 am - Oak Ridge, TN
That's so awesome. I can't wait until I can be comfortable just wearing that tank, or shoot, even a tank top in general! Gotta love these batwings though, lol.

I've thought about doing the Zumba though, it looks like a lot of fun! I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough though, lol

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

ModestoK
on 9/6/11 3:18 am
In addition to the C25K program others have talked about and the Runner's World website that has lots of tips about training and injury prevention, you probably should go to a good running store and have them help you choose shoes. It won't be cheap, but a good pair of shoes is priceless. The pros at a running store can take into account your size, stride, arch type, and other factors to get you into a shoe that fits properly and will help prevent injury. Buy the shoes there if you can to support them for this service.

If your girls haven't completely disappeared, you might also want to invest in a really good sports bra. You might want to get fitted for a bra as well and then look to buy it on eBay. I bought my first Moving Comfort bra when I was still a D cup for something like $60 at the Fleet Feet store but have since found it for significantly less elsewhere. (Plus I'm at least a band and cup size smaller.)

Couple of tips from the girl who evidently did it wrong -
be sure to listen to your body and stretch well after your training session. Slow and easy is the way to go - otherwise you might be like me and injury yourself, which could then cause you to lose weeks of time and have to start all over from scratch. Also be aware that since you may have lost a significant amount of weight quickly, you may be more prone to ligament pulls because they aren't a 'tightly packed' and supported as they were when you were heavier.

I think it is awesome you are thinking about starting a jogging program.
Best of luck to you!
Kim
KellyJTn
on 9/7/11 9:58 am - Oak Ridge, TN
Kim,

Thank you so much for the great advice. I will check out Runners World, and some sports bras. :)

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150