For the runners

KellyJTn
on 9/3/11 2:23 pm - Oak Ridge, TN
This is for those of you who like to jog/run.  Jogging/running is one of the things I have always wanted to do the most, and have been so excited to get to a comfortable weight post-op that I could do that. I want to enter 5k's, and maybe even a marathon someday. Here is my question though...at what size did you feel comfortable running? Did the size you started running at have anything to do with what you thought people thought about you? 
I'm at 192lbs right now, and if I saw someone my size jogging, I would think nothing of it. However, I am SO incredibly self concious to run when I'm in the presence of anyone!  My kids and I went to a local walking track a few days ago and they were riding their bikes. Well, I wanted to run, but had such a huge "I'm too fat to run, everyone will be staring at me" complex.  How in the world do I get rid of that!   I've never ran a day in my life, so it feels odd to even try.

How did you get started? Did you have to overcome your feelings about what people were thinking when they saw you running? I know I'm crazy, lol, but I can't get over the self concious feeling.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

kat81
on 9/3/11 9:30 pm
I have a lot of respect for a heavy person when I see them exercising; I consider them strong souls for taking responsibility for their health.
Nike.... just do it.
Jolly Rancher
on 9/3/11 10:35 pm
I struggle with the same issues of being self conscious when I exercise. I always think people are looking at me thinking something along the lines of "yeah, right". I know this is all in my head, and most people are only focused on themselves, especially in the gym.

I think the couch to 5k (google it) is a great way to start running, if you haven't before. It is intervals of walking, then running a short time, then walking, rinse and repeat. The running starts out at a very low time and builds as you keep with the program. I used it at my heaviest, and it really helped me be able to run, without getting discouraged.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
mylittleblackdress
on 9/3/11 10:54 pm, edited 9/3/11 10:54 pm - FL
Try starting out in the late evening or very early AM.  Choose a safe place and maybe have someone run with you until you get comfortable.  It's cooler and there are very few people out.  Those who are are usually focusing on their own exercise.
Michelle B.
on 9/3/11 11:21 pm - Cleveland, OH
 I recently started the couch to 5 k program.  It's really a good way to start running.  I started it when I was about 165.  I didn't really start it at any particular weight because I wanted to feel like I looked better doing it but instead I started it when I felt physically ready to do it.  So I say, if you feel physically ready GO FOR IT!

Look up the couch to 5 k program on www.coolrunning.com.  Or if you have a smart phone or ipod touch they have some good apps you can get that guide you through the program.  Take it at your own pace and don't feel like you can't repeat weeks as you feel necessary.

let me know if you have any questions.
   - Michelle -

HW: 315 | SW: 273 | CW: 142.2| GW: 125-130

P. Poster
on 9/3/11 11:54 pm
 I've been running for a little while now.  I started after I hit goal, for no reason other than I was scared to injure myself.  I still feel like people are watching the fat girl running, but you know what, if they have time to SIT and watch me run, I'm already doing one better than them.  At least I'M running!  I started running with my hubby, and now we make it a whole family event, my 3.5 year old LOVES to run.  I just started out slow, did what I could, then walked until I felt I could go again.  Similar to the couch to 5K method, although I found even just starting out, that was too slow a progression for me.  My first run was a mile before I had to break to walk!  You may just surprise yourself too!  Go for it girl, there truly is nothing like a runners high!
z85sparty
on 9/4/11 12:53 am - Mason, MI
You are looking amazing by the way!!!! 

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18

newyorkbitch
on 9/4/11 12:13 am
Be cautious about your knees.  Read this whole thing,  to the end:

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

Personally,  I wouldn't run until you are closer to goal.  Walking quickly is better for now.
KellyJTn
on 9/4/11 12:44 am - Oak Ridge, TN
Thank you all so much for the advice. I will definitely check out the Couch to 5k thing. It sounds interesting!

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

z85sparty
on 9/4/11 12:51 am - Mason, MI
I had my surgery in January of 2010 and I ran my first 5k ever in late May or 2010 and I weighed 205# when I ran my first race.  I started training for my first run around March and at that time I weighed about 250#.   I completely had to do a walk/run style race the whole time and my time was 45:00+, but it was the beginning of a great journey for me!  I didn't care at all what people thought of me running, I was out there doing it!

I started really slowly just running 5k's every month or so (and when I say run, I meant run walk).  I ran/walked every 5k I ran in 2010.  Now in 2011 I can actually run an entire 5k race and my latest race I ran in 32:02.  I just have to remind myself that it doesn't matter what other people think!  And you would actually be surprised at how many different types of people are out running at the races.  You are going to see people of every race, size, shape, and other things (blind) running the races.  And everyone is usually extremely supportive of everyone else.  Runners are a very close group of people!  Even those you don't know, when you run (at any size) all runners are supportive of other runners! 

The best advice I can give is to go slow!  Find a great training program that you follow and just do your best.  When you first start you are going to feel like you'll never get better at this, but trust me, you will!!!  The more you run, the further and faster you will be able to go.  Also, check out websites like RunnersWorld.com and other training tips and hints.  Running is a very physically demanding activity and if you are going to start running races beyond the 5k, you will need to learn a lot about your body when you run.  Such as.... how our body burns energy, what your body needs to run longer races, why you train the way you train, etc.

Oh... and up till this year, I ALWAYS started my races in the VERY back of the pack!  It helped me learn race ettiquette, not drag down the faster runners, and you run around less people.  It helped me get comfortable with running.

Since May of 2010 I have now compleleted over 30 5k races, 5 10k races, I am doing a half-marathon in 3 weeks, and will be running a full marathon in October!  I completed a sprint triathlon last month, and I am now training for a half-ironman (half triathlon), which I will do next year!  I have also decided that I want to become an Ironman and do a full triathlon, which I am aiming to do in 2014 after I have done at least 4 half-ironmans! 

It's totally awesome that you want to become a runner!!!!!!  Good luck and keep us updated on how it's going!!!!!!!!! 

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18