Suggestions for working out

MARTINA P.
on 9/3/11 7:00 am - ROCKMART, GA
 I am getting ready to start a gym membership and was wondering what I should do at the Gym to get the best results.  OK I do not have any medical problems with legs, knees, or back.  I believe my main problem areas is my arms and legs because that is where I have access skin the worst.  I also want to tone up my entire body.  Please give me some suggestions because I am finally to a point where I can focus on doing better and working out.  Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Elizabeth N.
on 9/3/11 7:03 am - Burlington County, NJ
Martina, you need to use caution in starting an exercise program because of your extremely poor nutritional status. You need to be able to take in enough nutrition to support your activity increases, both in protein and in other nutrients. Go slowly on this. You have a lot to recover from.

Just walk. You don't need to pay money for that. Get out and walk.

sassyjonz
on 9/3/11 10:08 am - Atlanta, GA
Hi Martina!  So glad to see you posting and getting better after the complications you have had.  It is also great to hear you are interested in working out. I truly think it helps the weight loss remain more consistant not to mention helps build muscle (not crazy bodybuilder muscle though), strength and stamina.

If you haven't been working out prior to your surgery, you may want to start out slow with walking and gradually add in other cardio like ellipticle and upright bike is very good and easier on the joints.  I am also a big advocate of water aerobics as it burns double the calories of walking on a treadmill and is especially easy on the joints.  Despite what people think, it is a great workout and I have been doing it for over 3 years.  I hope to get certified and start teaching water aerobics next year.

I am not as knowledgeable about weights so I will leave that to someone with more expertise but when I started back to working out after my surgery, I worked with a trainer for 8 weeks to help me with the weights and help build my strength and stamina back up after my surgery complications had me back at zero.  I know you may not be able to afford a trainer but most gym memberships come with at least a limited amount of sessions with a personal trainer so take advantage of those if you can and learn what you need to do.

I hope this helps you some.

Lia  

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

MARTINA P.
on 9/3/11 11:09 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Thanks Lia,

I am going to try going to the gym even though I still have a feeding tube and Picc line.  I know it is goin g to hard at the beginning but I plan to push  through it.  Unfortunatly there is not a place near me that do water aerobic so I guess that is out the question.  I am trying to put my life back together despite the complicaitons I continue to have.  Ok well I will talk to you at a later date and time.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Janet P.
on 9/3/11 9:02 pm
First, exercise won't help with skin. It will increase muscle size and it will make you heart-healthy.

The elliptical machine is non-weight bearing so it will be easy on your joints. I personally hated cardio but I did it because I needed to. Learned to love the weights.

Most important -- hire a trainer. Every gym has one. Some even offer the first session free. Lifting weights (or using machines) is great but if you've never done it before you could seriously hurt yourself.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

mel1964
on 9/4/11 2:25 am