Considering revision, had RNY in 2005, HELP!

kelleywatson1
on 9/3/11 5:57 am
 I have been sooooo hungry! it seems like within a couple of hrs after eating i am starving again.  I had RNY in 2005, starting weight was 310 and lost down to 198, after having my son in 2009 i am up to 260. i am miserable! I started researching being hungry and stumbled upon revision and had never thought of that. Any advice or testomies are appreciated. I would also like to know if your insurance covered the revision. I have bcbs of nc.
(deactivated member)
on 9/3/11 6:05 am, edited 9/3/11 6:19 am
Tabitha70
on 9/3/11 6:09 am
Hi Kelley
I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I didn't have a good experience with my RNY, lost less than half of the weight I needed to and then gained it all back.  My stoma was enlarged so food just fell through my pouch and I always felt hungry too. After having the RNY for 8 years and being depressed because of the failure for the last few years, I had a revision to the DS and have done so much better. It is a tricky surgery and you will need to find an experienced surgeon to do it but many people on this board have had revisions from RNY to DS and I can't think of anyone that has ever posted that  they were sorry they did it. You will see many say there only regret was that they wished they got the DS first...that's how I feel!
My insurance did cover the revision but I don't know about BCBS.
Best of luck to you!

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

teachmid
on 9/3/11 6:10 am - OKC, OK
Welcome, Kelley. You're at the right place.

SH has given you the same advice I would. My RNY was in 1989 and I had a revision to a DS last year. My insurance would not cover WLS, so I was self pay. The best money ever spent! You'll need to check your policy specifically.

Read, research and ask questions.

Good luck!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

kelleywatson1
on 9/3/11 12:15 pm
 Thanks guys for the replys. I had my original surgery at Duke WLS in NC and they do perform the DS but not sure if they offer it as a revision. I do want to have another child before i have the revision cause i dont want to have to wait 18mo to have another child and i dont want to have to worry about gaining the weight again after a second surgery. 

How long was the recovery for this surgery? I just started researching last night, but didnt see anything about the additional protien for life...so that would mean the protien shakes and stuff? I had the hardest time with the 3 wks of fluids cause they made me so sick, can barely stand to drink a smoothie still...
teachmid
on 9/3/11 1:10 pm - OKC, OK
The closest revision surgeons to you would probably be Dr. Roslin or Dr. Greenbaum. I traveled from Oklahoma to California for my revision with Dr. Keshishian.

In terms of work, I went back at 5 weeks but still felt awful...could have used another week or two. By 7-8 weeks felt pretty much back to normal. Everyone is different, though. Many people report recovering much more quickly.

DS'ers in general have to be much more vigilant on their protein, fluids, vitamins and labs. You don't have to be concerned about fat or calories. The rule of thumb for protein is 30gms a day at 1 month, 60 at 2 months and 90 at 3 months. Again, everyone is different. I'm 8+ months out and there's no way I can eat 90 gms of protein a day, so I supplement with 2-3 protein shakes and coffees a day and love them.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Jennifer D.
on 9/3/11 1:15 pm
I am sooooooooooo glad I am finally switched after a failed RNY. I had considered revision of my RNY and even been approved when I found OH and learned of the DS.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150