What would you do differently???

beemerbeeper
on 9/2/11 11:46 pm - AL
What I would do differently?

Exercised a little more.

Can't think of another thing.

And for gosh sakes remember you have a DS and don't need those awful rny rules.

~Becky

kathie09
on 9/3/11 5:09 pm - not available
Thanks Becky!
kathie09
newyorkbitch
on 9/2/11 11:54 pm
First of all,  I want to caution you about something you said:

"I really don't want to settle for average"

Don't put that kind of pressure on yourself.  It is only going to serve to sabotage you and your progress.

Watch your carbs,  eat enough protein,  drink enough fluid,  get some exercise (aerobic and anaerobic),  make sure your labs are okay and keep up with your vitamins/supplements.

(I don't mean you should exercise now - you should start very slowly at 6-8 weeks out and gradually increase)

You WILL lose the weight - everybody is different,  but the weight WILL come off - don't compare yourself to other people.  

One word of advice - buy as little clothing as you can to get by until you are 3 years out.  Everything will be shifting and changing until then (and actually beyond that but at least that).

The DS is a marathon - not a sprint.  The focus should be on your health and wellbeing - not on the speed of your loss. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/11 12:14 am
kathie09
on 9/3/11 4:54 pm - not available
NYB...

Loved this! Thanks for the advice. I am listening! Notes have been taken.
kathie09
Renee2007
on 9/3/11 12:58 am - Central, FL
 I think you got some great advice from Kelly and NYB. I didn't make it harder than it had to be. I made sure I got my protein in and by doing that it left very little room for carbs. That all starts to change the farther out you get. Your restriction will ease up and you'll definitely be able to eat more. I wanted the weight off and I kept a very close eye on my carbs. Once the weight is off it's just a balancing act to see how many carbs you can eat and not start gaining.  Take full advantge of this time that the weight will literally fall off if you focus on the protein, water and vites.

I also want to add because i know some people think I'm talking like a carb Nazi. I did have some carbs during my WL phase but I knew my limits, I wasn't obsessed about it. I just loved seeing the scale drop.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

ChristyTal
on 9/3/11 1:13 am
What would I do differently?

Other than having the surgery a decade sooner, not much!  A few things maybe:

1)  I barely worried about stalls or how much I lost per week, but, if I had to do over again, I would not give it a second thought.  Reality is, two years out this week, I'm past my goal - and have dropped another 5 lbs in the last two weeks just as a result of living in Ohio, where Corn and Tomatoes are in season and awesome.  So, I've had a ton of corn/tomato/cottage cheese meals.  

2)  I'd force myself to drink protein shakes early out.  I depended entirely on food.  My friend *****cently had the DS is being more diligent about protein than I was at first and she seems to feel better than I did at that stage.  

3)  I would not buy as many clothes during the weightloss stage.  I'm no prisoner of fashion, but I still bought more ebay and thrift store things than I needed, the weight came off so fast!   I do think you should always have at least one nice, new out fit that fits well for whatever stage you are in, just so you feel good about yourself.

4)  I would be more patient with myself about healing and recovery, realizing it takes about six months to get back to feeling mostly normal. 

Congratulations on your surgery.  I can't believe it's been two years for me.  What a journey you have begun!

Christy

SW 333  GW  160    CW 156  5'6"

Ready for plastics!!!!!!

beemerbeeper
on 9/3/11 1:21 am - AL
I agree with your points 110%. 

~Becky

ChristyTal
on 9/3/11 1:27 am
Two things I forgot in my earlier post:

1)  I'd take more pictures and keep a journal.

2)  I'd try to understand my husband's perspective/reactions better.  This is a big adjustment for a spouse, and I don't think I really understood that.  

kathie09
on 9/3/11 5:13 pm - not available
Hey Christy...

Can you tell me a little bit more about understanding my husband's perspective? So far, he has been the most loving, caring, sweetheart about this whole thing. He is so sweet to say "hey, you look like you've lost a little weight.....are you happy with that?" He has NEVER been one to say anything about my weight....but when we listed the pro's of me having WLS, he said that he felt excited to see the "old me" again. I think he meant that in so many ways. I haven't been myself since the weight started piling on.

Anywhoo, I want to be better about thinking of him and his feelings. What should I do to make sure that I don't miss his needs? Is there a point where husbands usually get angry or upset about this? I am so much better with forewarning that being blindsided, so I will listen to whatever you have to say.

I love this man of mine with my whole soul. couldn't bear to hurt or to lose him.
kathie09