What would you do differently???

newyorkbitch
on 9/3/11 8:54 pm
Drinking water NEVER reduces weight loss. It has no calories.

I don't understand this about not drinking during meals - maybe early out,  so that you don't fill up and you have room for protein - but that's only temporary.  The most important thing  early on is getting in enough protein and staying hydrated.  As long as you're getting in enough protein,  then drink as much as you want and whenever you want.

Janet P.
on 9/3/11 9:10 pm, edited 9/3/11 9:47 pm
She's only one month post op so I think its important early out not to eat and drink at the same time. Just my opinion.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

fluffy_me
on 9/5/11 7:32 am
hey NYB,

thanks for the info:)

i do drink very little during my meals - but still sometimes get bloated - i have gotten use to eating with no drinks (pre op i would have an average of 3 large drinks with my meals!) i find that i eat better and more. looking forward to the day i can drink and eat at the same time.

i make sure i drink loads during the day though.

Janet P.
on 9/3/11 9:57 pm
On September 4, 2011 at 2:07 AM Pacific Time, fluffy_me wrote:
hey janet,

thanks, i'm going to try to follow your 'rules', it looks good!

1) did you take your vitamins half and hour after eating, as you need to drink water when taking your pills?

2) is it ok to take your vitamins half an hour after eating - is there a time limit? i was told to take them with your meals.

3) after eating i take my vitamins right away - but because i need a BIG glass of water, i get quite bloated - does that reduce my weight loss?

4) do you have a rule not to eat late at night? because i tend to eat at midnight (i eat protein and drink my protein shake), then go to bed.

5) after i've had my meals i usually tend to drink my protein shakes 5 mins later, i have a feeling that's not so good and should leave a gap - what do you think  ?

I take my vitamins before I eat -- always have, always will (usually within 15-20 minutes).

Before my DS I was always a night eater. But now I can't so I don't eat anything after 9:30 or 10 (I go to bed usually around 11). If I eat too late, I get too uncomfortable and also tend to get heartburn but that's just me. I may have some cheese or some cookies, and usually a cup of decaf around 9PM.

I did protein shakes only early out because I couldn't get enough protein from food. I don't drink them anymore at all. I get all my protein from food. Occassionally if I'm traveling or know I may not be able to get enough protein, I'll nibble on a high protein bar. I also always carry nuts.

You have to find what works for you.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

fluffy_me
on 9/5/11 7:38 am
hi janet,

i took my medicines 15 mins before my dinner today (trying it out), it went quite well  much eaiser. i just have to make sure that i actually do eat 15 mins later.

i use to get heartburns pre op - haven't had it so far - i do snack an hour before i go to bed for my bedtime medicines.

thankssss:)

DivaJojo
on 9/2/11 8:34 pm - Atlanta, GA
Looks like the first two posters got you covered. The only thing I can think to add answering the question of what I would do differently . . .

Be active, not passive in the early phase ( like first couple year). I let the tool do all the work. While I was active, I never dedicated myself to an exercise regimen, hence, I have not gotten to goal. Not sure if below 200 wa realistic given I was near 500 and over 350 for the last 20 years at least. But, now I may never know. I am happy with the loss I have and at 5.5 years out the tool still works as I am losing what I have gained in the last couple of years.

Next, be diligent for the long haul. After the honeymoon phase, it is easy to let life take over. This isn't like a really long diet, it is forever. Even knowing that, your mind can start looking at it as temporary. Like, after this is over, I can get back to normal. This is tge new normal. It's a mental trip that can approach around year 2 or 3. Just hve to be real and work through it.

Next, support. Get with a support group and go regularly. Wgain I let life get in the way and when I got off track, dhame kept me away. This board is invaluble, but the face to face support is very important.

Finally, listen to your body. Gradually build protein and supplements paying close attention to how your body reacts and adjust as you grow. You want to ward off deficiencies, yess, but being too aggressive can be just as bd, or worse, than being lax. Build. And progress in moderation . . . it will happen.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/11 10:36 pm - Woodbridge, VA
One thing I want to add to the advice you've already been given is that if you start doing muscle building/toning exercise, it can mess with the numbers on your scale, so don't get too worried about a slowdown or stall if you start doing more than walking. This isn't because you'll somehow rapidly build muscle, but rather because when you exercise, you make small tears in your muscles, and those tears hold onto additional water while healing as part of the process of building new muscle. It sounds like you're trying to maximize everything, but understand there has to be some give and take.
scoob
on 9/2/11 11:27 pm - Somerset, KY
NO HEAVY LIFTING!! Yep, I have a HUGE hernia! From playing with my granddaughter. Sucks big time.

Also, I'd eat more fat. I ate fat freely but didn't add extra fat. Now that I've started the weight loss has picked up some. Since starting about 2 weeks ago I've lost 4 lbs. Not too shabby seeing I was stalled for 8 weeks prior.

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/11 11:41 pm
kathie09
on 9/3/11 4:52 pm - not available
I wish I had time to reply to all of the great advice on this thread....but I am struggling to keep up with work and home right now. But I HAD to respond to this just to say:

DR K JUST ROCKS. Love him to pieces for saving my life. Long live the King K♥

That is all

oh....except to say that you are right. I didn't even lose 34 pounds after a year on phen fen. My body was so messed up!
kathie09