What would you do differently???

kathie09
on 9/2/11 5:48 pm - not available
Dear DS friends

I just hit my one month surgiversary. I have been lurking on the boards - reading a lot but not commenting a ton. I have been EVER so grateful for the people who contribute to this board. I got dehydrated (my PCP gave me the wrong type of antibiotic and it just dried me right out The antibiotic was for a staph infection I developed in my incision. I was in a hotel for 12 days after surgery, and I'm wondering if it just wasn't clean enough. Anywhoo, I have found so many answers to my questions about dehydration, infection and fatique on this board. Thanks to all who contribute.

My question is this: As a new DS'er, I want to make sure to take advantage of this precious time in the rapid weight loss phase. I lost 34 pounds in my first month out, which from what I've seen on the boards and tickers is about average. I really don't want to settle for average, so I'm wondering what advice you might all give me. I am watching my carbs carefully. I am not able to eat much, as I'm still on the mushy stage of the diet. I eat mostly soft meats (like really tender chicken, if I can handle it) processed lunch meats with low carbs, cheese, cottage cheese, soups and my protein shakes. I can't eat a lot - usually about 1/4 cup is about it and then I am done. I just started walking this week, and it feels so good. I am slow - but I am moving.

So lay it on me. What should I be doing? If I start working on my arm muscles will my skin be a little less loose? Should I switch to different foods? I am taking in the appropriate amount of water....but if I up it does the weight loss get better? Have many of you lost more in the second month than in the first?

I don't want to seem obsessive over this, but I do want to make sure that I don't come late to the party. If I don't take full advantage of this time I will be so full of regrets.

Thanks in advance for your help. So thankful for the switch!!!

p.s....how do I list my surgeon? I've tried several times in the profile section and it won't let me list him. I Love Dr Keshishian!!! (in the most appropriate patient / doctor relationship way My real love is my sweetheart Mark♥
kathie09
goodkel
on 9/2/11 6:40 pm
It sounds like you're doing great so far. Don't expect to lose 34 pounds every month. While an increase in pounds lost may happen, it is more likely that you will lose less each month as time goes by.  In other words, no whining if you "only" lose 15 pounds this month. It is a natural part of the process.

But, if you want to stick to the straight and narrow:

1. Always get in at least 64 oz. of fluid a day, more if you break a sweat.
2. Eat or drink at least 120 grams of protein.
3. Avoid ALL carbs except leafy, green vegetables.
4. Take all your vitamins and don't miss your labs. Deficiencies can slow your loss.

Muscles can fill in your arms a little, but they won't fill in all of your excess skin if you have a lot. Don't over do it and give yourself a hernia (which can slow your weight loss), but building muscle tone is always a good idea. Muscle increases your metabolism.

To update your surgeon go to:
My OH----->My Journey---->Surgeries

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Janet P.
on 9/2/11 7:59 pm
I will start this post by saying everyone is different and I can only tell you what worked for me. It may not work this way for you but here goes. This is what I did and it worked for me for at least the 10-12 months. Doing this I lost 100 pounds in 5 months - no plateaus, then 50 pounds in the next 5 months.

1. Drink at least 64 ounces of water per day (mostly water only with some crystal lite)
2. No caffiene (no coffee or tea for the first 6 months)
3. No carbination - period
4. Bought a food scale and I weighed and measured my food. I had to relearn how to eat. I had no idea how much an ounce of anything looked like.
5. Eat from a small plate and use a small fork and teaspoon. It forces you to take smaller bites.
6. Never drink 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after you eat.
7.High protein - remember the 30/60/90 rule. By 3 months post-op you should be up to 90 grams of protein. I had at least 1 protein shake a day.
8. Eliminate carbs as much as possible and if you do eat any carbs they should be complex carbs - basically no sugar period.
9. Start exercising as soon as you get clearance from your surgeon. I joined a gym at 4 months post-op (that was my doctor's rule) and hired a personal trainer. It didn't help with the skin but I looked awesome
10. Take ALL of your vitamins and supplements.

Alot of people will see this list and think I'm insane and maybe I am but it worked for me.

I'm sure I'm missing some things as I am almost 9 years post-op and don't necessarily remember everything. I was laughed at by my other DS and VSG friends but you know what, I hit my goal within the first year and most of them did not. When I had my surgery there were about 10 of us who all had our surgery within a year so we had a local, weekly support group. That was a huge help as the on-line support wasn't as good as it is now. But I would sit in that group and listen to many complain about not meeting their goal and that wasn't going to happen to me. I was determined to lose all my excess weight and I did.

Sounds like you're doing the right things now. I know I was quite obsessive about this but for me I didn't risk my life having surgery to not meet my goal. There was just simply too much as stake.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Kayla B.
on 9/2/11 8:37 pm - Austin, TX
Why no caffeine?  It's been proven that it's not as dehydrating as once thought.  I think a bit is fine.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
beemerbeeper
on 9/2/11 11:44 pm - AL
Janet,

You've got to be kidding.  Those are 90% RnY rules and DO NOT APPLY to us.  If you have been living that way I am so very sorry.

No need to weigh food except to make sure she gets her protein.

She can drink caffeine, carbonation no problem except very very early out when your tummy is swollen.

She doesn't need to take smaller bites or use a small plate or any of that diet mentality!!

There is absolutely NO reason not to drink whenever she wants to.

We do not have to live by RnY rules.  We HAVE our pyloric valves!!!!!!!!!!  The DS has freed us from all that!!!!

~Becky

Janet P.
on 9/3/11 9:47 pm
On September 3, 2011 at 6:44 AM Pacific Time, beemerbeeper wrote:
Janet,

You've got to be kidding.  Those are 90% RnY rules and DO NOT APPLY to us.  If you have been living that way I am so very sorry.

No need to weigh food except to make sure she gets her protein.

She can drink caffeine, carbonation no problem except very very early out when your tummy is swollen.

She doesn't need to take smaller bites or use a small plate or any of that diet mentality!!

There is absolutely NO reason not to drink whenever she wants to.

We do not have to live by RnY rules.  We HAVE our pyloric valves!!!!!!!!!!  The DS has freed us from all that!!!!

~Becky
No I'm not kidding and please don't feel sorry for me. That's the way it was 9 years ago but you know what, it worked for me and I have no problem sharing my story with others here. When I had my DS I had no idea what 2 or 4 ounces of anything was so weighing my food was the only way to learn. Same with small plates and forks. Everything was a learning process. I didn't get to be super morbidly obese by knowing how to eat properly.

WLS (of any kind) is a tool and part of the journey is to learn how to use that tool. If it means weighing food, and eating on smaller plates, so be it. It has nothing to do with "dieting" it has to do with learning.

She's one month post-op and IMHO she shouldn't drink caffeine. Its a diuretic. This is just my opinion.

By eating the way I described, in the first 5 months I lost 100 pounds. Never hit a plateau and never wavered. First plateau came only because I quit smoking. I was at my goal weight in just over a year. I started at 320 pounds (5'3"). My lowest weight was 140 (too low for me) and I've been at 155-160 since my plastics 6 years ago.

I come to this site as an "old timer". I noticed you had your DS in 2009. There's been alot of updated information between 2003 and 2009 and fortunately for you and Kathie09 and others, you didn't have to learn on your own - you had this wonderful site.

But I don't regret one day of the last 8-1/2 years (well maybe the year I spent trying to get my ferritin back to normal).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

SirSamAlot
on 9/3/11 2:25 am - Ellenwood, GA
Though I don't have much to any room to talk, like what beemerbeeper mentioned, the rule of not drinking 30 minutes before or after a meal is one of the biggest rules mentioned to RNYers from what I read on their forums and not to DSers.

Samuel E. 
5'10
300 to 310lbs
A teenager seeking the VSG.

DivaJojo
on 9/3/11 4:43 am - Atlanta, GA
Just wanted to cime in here for a moment. While the 30 minute drinking rule may be crucial for RnY's, it is actually a principle of healthy, natural eating that I have heard most of my life. The stomach processes solid food and liquid differently and to drink while eating is discouraged because it is more taxing on the system. As relates to WLS, combining them does bring a risk of stretching the stomach regardless of DS or RnY. So, while not a rule for the DS, I think it a wise practice to follow.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Elizabeth N.
on 9/3/11 2:33 am - Burlington County, NJ
Ha! You just reminded me of an encounter I had when I was....oh, under four months out...with two then-recent postops. We met for a meal at a diner. I very carefully ordered a cheesey, fishy, almost-no-carb appetizer to eat.

They were both quite surprised: "Wow, you really take that high protein thing SERIOUSLY!"

Uh, duh. Of COURSE I do. I don't want to get protein malnutrition. Hello?

I will refrain from posting details of their further progress for the sake of their anonymity (though I'm all but certain neither of them ever show up here), but you can guess a lot.

fluffy_me
on 9/3/11 7:07 pm
hey janet,

thanks, i'm going to try to follow your 'rules', it looks good!

1) did you take your vitamins half and hour after eating, as you need to drink water when taking your pills?

2) is it ok to take your vitamins half an hour after eating - is there a time limit? i was told to take them with your meals.

3) after eating i take my vitamins right away - but because i need a BIG glass of water, i get quite bloated - does that reduce my weight loss?

4) do you have a rule not to eat late at night? because i tend to eat at midnight (i eat protein and drink my protein shake), then go to bed.

5) after i've had my meals i usually tend to drink my protein shakes 5 mins later, i have a feeling that's not so good and should leave a gap - what do you think  ?