Subtle Differences?

ShersJourney
on 9/2/11 8:24 am, edited 9/2/11 8:26 am
As many of you know, I had my surgery August 25th but Dr. Kemmeter was only able to do the first part, the VSG.

I have been on these boards for just about 4 years, so this should be a little more obvious to me.. but I'd really appreciate if someone could break down the differences btwn the VSG and the full DS to me.

For example, all of the things with carb and flour tolerance that I've read and planned for - does that apply to me?  Obviously right now I'm still on liquids - but that will end soon and I'd like to know what to expect.

I feel a little bad, although I'm sure the nurse(s) and Dr. K expected it... when I first woke up in the hospital, I was very quiet and when asked how I was feeling I very quietly, while staring out the window said, "pissed off."  I've since gotten a grip of my big girl panties and realized that this is just how it has to be for now but I want to do the best I can with what I've got and I also want to know  what makes things different when part 2 is added (the sooner, the better!!)

Thanks in advance,
Sherry

Elizabeth N.
on 9/2/11 9:13 am - Burlington County, NJ
Basically you'll be "on a diet." All of the DS stuff applies EXCEPT for fat intake. You need to keep the fat calories down in order to keep your total caloric intake down. Oh, and you don't need 100 grams of protein to compensate for malabsorption--but high protein, low carb is the ticket.

Kayla B.
on 9/2/11 9:51 am - Austin, TX
No, you really shouldn't have any food intolerances, except for minding what your sleeve can and will accept depending on the day, and that will have more to do with density of food than carbohydrate content.

You are exactly like you were pre-op...but you can't eat as much.  Calories still count for you, sadly.  But protein is still very super important.  Just not as important, because you'll be absorbing all of it so you won't need as much.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Julie R.
on 9/2/11 9:58 am - Ludington, MI
 Hey Sherry!
You have the top half of the DS, meaning you have purely restriction.    You will continue to be able to absorb 100% of the food you eat.   You will still have some nutrient malabsorption with just the VSG though - I believe B12, iron and calcium, so you'll need to supplement those, along with a multivitamin.   Furthermore, your very tiny stomach right now will prevent you from getting adequate protein in, so you are going to want to supplement that for now.    When you go for your two-week check up, they should tell you how many grams of protein to shoot for with the sleeve part of the DS.

In regard to flour and carb intolerance...that's a yes and a no.    You will not have the digestive issues yet, because you have not been "switched," but your new sleeve is going to be very touchy for a while.   Breads, pastas, and rice expand in your stomach and will make you feel extremely uncomfortable if you eat too much too soon.   Furthermore, dense proteins, such as chicken breast, are going to be hard to get a lot of in.    Pork loin, chicken breast, lean cuts of beef, still fill me up VERY quickly.   Potatoes still do as well.    

Because you do not, at this time, have fat malabsorption, you're not going to have troubles with oil slicks, and such, but you'll have to keep an eye on your fat intake since you will absorb 100% of those calories.    I do not believe in super low fat diets for anyone, so it's not like you're going to have to eat dry fish and turkey breast, LOL.    I feel for you that the DS rule of protein first, followed by complex carbs and then whatever if you have room left, is still pretty much the rule.     It  could be really easy to "eat around" your sleeve and not lose successfully if you start eating stuff like ice cream or crackers - stuff that goes down easily.    Stick to getting that protein in first and filling up from that, and you'll do justu fine.    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

April M.
on 9/2/11 10:19 am - MI
Sherry,

The exact same thing happened to me. Went in for my DS, woke up with a VSG. I was able to have the second part 4 months later, so I didn't have to wait too long, thank goodness. If you ever want to talk or scream or cry or cackle like a witch, feel free to PM me, and I'll get you my phone number. I get the feeling pissed off, sad, disappointed, and a whole slew of other emotions that don't even make much sense.

I didn't have the carb intolerance, AFTER my sleeve healed. For the first couple months, white flour still gave me problems because it caused gas in my belly, which was really painful. I found that taking gas-x twice a day did wonders for the gas pain I was having.

As far as diet goes, I used my "in between" time to adjust myself to the DS diet (unfortunately, a low-fat version, since with the VSG you still absorb everything).

The biggest thing that was a change from what I was expecting was the progression of diet after the DS portion. As soon as my guts could handle it, I went right back to solid, dense foods with no problem. It felt strange to not progress so slowly through liquids and mushies, since my sleeve was not swollen and angry like the first time. I only spent about a week on liquids and mushy foods before going back to normal.

Also, depending on how long of a wait you anticipate before your second part, I do not recommend stocking up on anything. I bought a bunch of protein for shakes, over $150 worth, and I cannot stomach it now. The smell makes me want to gag, and I often do if I try to drink it. It's the smell of all whey protein isolate that does me in, from as far as I can tell.

My tastes changed after both surgeries. Interesting, eh? Also, I get to have 2 rounds of hair loss, but I just used it as an excuse to get a new haircut that was probably about 10 years overdue.

That's all I can think of right now, any more questions I can help with? I am liking this being able to help others and pay it forward a bit

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

ShersJourney
on 9/2/11 11:15 am
All of these answers help SO much!  Thank you!

I asked the nurse who called today if I could at least have egg drop soup and sadly she said no *exaggerated pout* but I'm doing okay on the protein drinks I have, just bored.

The idea of only having to wait 4 months is exactly what I was hoping to hear so I'm really praying Dr. Kemmeter and Dr. Hares act in kind because while I'm having a hard time with my new scale (it won't rest on a number even though it will for the kids) - I've lost at least 20# already so hopefully that's a good sign.

As for how much protein to shoot for... I've already had 84g today and will likely get another 21 in so I don't think that part's going to be a problem!

Thanks again, seriously - the worst thing that could ever happen to me is not knowing what to expect - I prepare for everything as much as possible so this overloading feeling of "Well NOW what?!" kept gnawing at me... not to mention the fact that I could have had a sleeve 4 years ago without all the drama and sacrifice of moving!

Best,
Sherry