Def going to go for DS

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/11 7:31 pm - MN
DS on 03/13/12
So last night I went to the info session for rupp's clinic and after doing all my reaserch on here and else where I started bombarding the one doc they had there with questions, about all the various surgeries and asking them well why dont you guys really mention the ds there was like one line on the slide show about it and that was it.  He came back that they really dont do it and only have one doc who does and that its a more compliated surgery and well there can be more complications from it and blah blah blah.  So I came back at him about some complications to rny that he wasnt bringing up, I have never seen someone turn so red in the face in my life.  The whole time I am just sitting there in awe at the number of people in the room who had a clueless look on their faces like they have put no effort into reaserching any of this before hand.  This is a life altering surgery, how can people not do any research into this stuff.  Then after the meeting was over he came up to me and said that well if you really are looking to go for DS then you should really go to the U of M, which I had already mentioned while questioning him, since they do way more of them and they are really the pros at it here in my area.   I was in shock that he was willing to admit that they werent  able to handle it and that I should go else where then.  Also told me he was not use to someone as informed being at one of the meetings. wow just wow.  So needless to say I am going to go to the U of M and deal with them I am all set up to see Dr.Leslie on the 12th and will go from there.  I am really excited and cant wait for the 12th to roll around :D
MajorMom
on 9/1/11 7:34 pm - VA
Good for you! Sounds like you've done your homework like every DSr should. Good luck and keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

scoob
on 9/1/11 8:58 pm - Somerset, KY
Sounds like you're off to a good start! Keep us posted!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

orangecrushed
on 9/1/11 10:07 pm - Triad, NC
Hey there!  Glad you were able to go to the infosession well informed!  For me, the infosession was the first time I really talked to anyone about any WLS.  My friend had an RNY through this particular group, and was doing well!  So, I went to the session and took my mother with me.  They really only presented the RNY, Lapband, and a very very brief mention of VSG.  They gave us a hand out with links... OH was about 5th on the list, but just happened to be the first site I went to....

So, I spent a lot of time on the main board, and thankfully the DSer's around here kept posting about their successes with this type of surgery I'd never heard of.  I ended up on this forum, and the rest is history!

I think it's pretty common for the infosession to be people's first exposure to WLS.  It's often the first step for many to really get serious about it.  But, from there, it's really up to the individual to do their research.

Definitely stick around.... I learn more everyday!  It's never ending.  I'm glad you've decided on the DS and I'm glad that you're going to go to a more experienced surgeon.  Best of luck to you!

ClairM13
on 9/1/11 10:17 pm

I'm also from MN. I went to the U of M and saw Dr. Ikramuddin. I've heard good things about Dr. Leslie too. I think you'll be very satisfied with the wealth of information between the 2 Drs. I can't speak for Dr. Leslie and his staff, but I was very impressed with the U and their overwhelming support and willingness to help.

Good Luck with your journey!

Elizabeth N.
on 9/1/11 11:21 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Oh cool, I didn't realize there was a third DS surgeon there. That's excellent news. I hope we hear more about his work.

buffalobillsfan
on 9/1/11 11:09 pm - CA
I am lucky that my best friend had the DS a year before I did.  If it weren't for her I would have probably gone for the Lapband or MAYBE the RNY.  I was scared and would have only wanted to put my big toe in the WLS world.  I am SOOOO glad I did my research too.  I don't know if I ever would have found the DS without her.  If I would have stumbled on a site that only presented the band or the RNY I might not have my wonderful DS.  It's scary to think about.  Good for you for calling them on it.  You might have changed other people's minds too. 

Cheers,
Cathy

Elizabeth N.
on 9/1/11 11:21 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Well hurray for him for being a good guy and sending you elsewhere! And hurray for you for being assertive! Here's hoping you got the attention of several other folks there, too. One or two might actually now DO a little research.

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/11 4:24 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
I am just soo glad I found this forum before hand so I wasnt one of the uninformed people out there. And I want to say a big thank you to all who posted on my initial post on the main boards and told me to check out the DS and gave me all the links and info I need to make this choice you guys are awesome and I will keep you up on the steps in my journey.
MsBatt
on 9/2/11 11:20 am
You, and people like you, are why I spend time on the MB. (*grin*)