I'm healing well, but this emotional stuff is the pits!

P. Poster
on 9/1/11 11:15 pm
 Oh yes hun!  Normal, normal, normal!!!  Do you remember waaaay back when I told you about the "what have I done to myself" stage?  Yup, you're in the thick of it.  Weve all been there, and I promise it won't last long, and it will be a faded distant memory soon enough.  You are going through SO many changes right now, and still purging the anesthesia from your system- it's a big ole cluster of craziness to adjust and try to find your way in your new DS life, and it is overwhelming!  I promise it gets easier, and once you break past this, it will just get better and better.  Just ride the wave, tell your family to be understanding, give yourself a break and focus on the fact that you just gave yourself the BEST possible gift ever.  This is the hardest part of the process, the rest is easy peasy!    

As for the period- totally normal.  I think pretty much every woman got theirs directly postop.  Even women that hadn't had one in years, or just finished their normal cycle.  It's from the anesthesia and hormone dump.  It sure does suck though!

As for the rock feeling, I still get this every now and again at 18 months out.  It's from eating/drinking too fast/too much.  Early out, I would occasionaly vomit from this, it was a very quick learning curve.  Now it only happens if I forget, or push myself too far.  Just think of your new stomach as the size of an infants, tiny tiny!  Maybe a few ounces at a time.  Its hard for your brain to accept that that is all you can fit.  I woud eat like two bites, and then set my plate aside for 15 minutes, then take a few more bites, set it aside, repeat.  Really, your stomach is the size of a small egg, if that, and with all the swelling going on in there, its even smaller and more picky.  If you can drink your protein, you are golden.  Look at food as a "bonus" at this point, but don't put too much energy or focus on eating.  Just get your fluids, and if some of those can be protein shakes, even better.  This too shall pass, and before you know it, you will be scarfing down an entire meal like a normal person.  

Feel free to call me anytime, even if you just need to cry, scream, vent, whatever.  I've totally BTDT so no judgements.  Hugs and love girl!
Nicolle
on 9/2/11 2:25 am
Oh boy. I was doing great the first few days and then I suddenly...I wasn't. I talked with my OH angel on the phone and she told me to hang in there, that it would clear up in a day or so, that she had the same thing happen.

On Day 6, I swear it was like the sun came out for the first time. So...hang in there. You are NOT alone. It gets better as you heal and start to see progress. Give it a couple more days. Keep hydrated, keep moving a little more each day--getting outside helped my frame of mind, too.

If you are getting worse, please see someone, like a therapist to help you through this darkness.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Panda ..
on 9/2/11 3:50 am