Beating the Dead Horse...Probiotics

Imissthe80s
on 9/1/11 4:06 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
I just need to know a few things so that I can bookmark this thread.  Yes, I am a shameless posting hussy today.  Your answers are appreciated.

1. Should a probiotic be taken right out of the gate from the DS, or only when there's a disturbance in the flora?

2. How will I know my flora is disturbed, is diarrhea and indicator?

3.  Is it okay to take the probiotic forever?

4. Is there an intestinal "perfume" that will take some stink out of the fart?

5. Will a probiotic aid the absorption of nutrients?

trxxyy
on 9/1/11 4:53 am - Orange County, CA
Here is a link to a post Dina did on Probiotics.  I found it very informative and I hope it helps you.

livingthedslife.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/probiotics/

I did read where Dina mentioned  probiotics vs. a good full fat yogurt on an early post but I can't find it right now.  If/when I find it I will post it for you.

-shelly
Imissthe80s
on 9/1/11 5:47 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Shelly-

Thanks so much! Duh! You know I never thought of someone actually keeping a "Living the DS Life" Blog.  I see a lot of pre-op journey blogs, but not a "Living the DS" sorta thing.  Thanks so much for enlightening me! Maybe I'll start a thread asking for blog input.  Goodkel will love it! ( ;

* Gail R *
on 9/1/11 6:03 am - SF Bay Area, CA
For about six months I used chlorophyll tablets that were advertised to eliminate odors. They didn't do a thing for me...

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Imissthe80s
on 9/1/11 6:09 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Ha! Thanks, Gail.  I think I'm looking for the magic fart bullet that will convert the DS farts into roses and that just ain't gonna happen, which will be okay.  As a pre-op who's twiddling her thumbs waiting for the time to pass (6-month diet) I think about everything.

* Gail R *
on 9/1/11 6:38 am - SF Bay Area, CA
As time goes by, it seems to less toxic. Perhaps because I am figuring out the triggers that bring on the worst of it.
Learn all that you can during these waiting months. It really benefited me to read everything on this board, everyday. It helped me stay away from simple carbs pretty well for nearly 10 months and then was very careful. I managed to lose all the weight that I wanted in a year. Hopefully I can keep my better habits but the carb monster is always lurking.... Knowing, not only what those carbs Will do to my weight loss, what they will do to my intestines is keeping me disciplined.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/11 6:45 am
Use these 6 months to invent the "Rose-smelling Fart Tablet".  You'll be a skinny billionaire!
Imissthe80s
on 9/1/11 6:47 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Lynmarie- !

DianaRR
on 9/1/11 6:56 am - CA
I haven't had a horrible problem with fart smell. My farts are about the same smell as before surgery. And I can control them as well as before.
Of course, in case things change, I carry a purse sized air freshener.
Blank Out
on 9/1/11 7:33 am
 Bariatric surgery that involves any cutting of the intestines insures that you will have a lifetime of bad gut bacteria.  More than a non-rearranged person.  If you google it, you will find tons of medical info about this subject.  A probiotic is a must if you want to keep the amount of gas, and the amount of stink down.  It won't take it away, it will still be stinky, but much less so.  I take 3-4 probiotics a day.  Trust me, you want to be on one for life.  It's nothing more than good bacteria which helps keep the bad bacteria in balance.  Bacteria is part of the digestive process, so you want it there.  But, you want more good than bad.

FYI, start very slowly!  My surgeon did not permit pills larger than a pencil eraser until  4 weeks out.  Start taking just one, then wait a couple of days, and take another.  Very slowly build up over several weeks to 3-4 a day.  In the beginning, a war between good and evil will ensue and cause gas and pain.  This is why you want to go slow!!!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135