Vets Cholecalciferol (D3)

stillhopefull
on 9/1/11 3:47 am
My PCP gave me a script for this and to be taken once a week.  I told her I needed this daily and I got the look.    I explained AGAIN the vitamin requirements and again the look.  She is a RNY doc and I am her only DS patient.  Other than finding a third PCP I want to know your thoughts.....................
thanks,
terry
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
Renee2007
on 9/1/11 3:56 am - Central, FL
 How many IU's are in it? Most of us take upwards of 50,000 a day. You can get that in one tiny capsule from vitalady.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

stillhopefull
on 9/1/11 4:02 am
It is 50,000 IU and she wants weekly.  I explained we need this requirement daily and she looked at me like I was crazy.  I will end up ordering from Vitalady but I have had so many hospital bills over the last 8 months I was trying to get it prescription so it will cost me less monthly.  My husband was recently diagnosised with metastatic renal cell carcinoma and has had brain surgery and now radiation followed by who know what so money is more than tight right now.  I know TMI sorry.
terry
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
Renee2007
on 9/1/11 4:06 am - Central, FL
 I'm sorry to hear that about your husband =(  

What is your current D level? What have your labs shown? 50,000 weekly would send my levels right in the toilet. I take 50k a day and many take twice to three times as much. It's difficult to raise low levels with just a weekly dose due to our malabsorption. My PCP has no clue as to how I maintain my levels. They just don't get us.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

stillhopefull
on 9/1/11 4:12 am
I need to just order from Vitalady and get it over with.  PCP said one year labs.  Well with me being in and out of the hospital and off and on TPN over the last 8 months who knows where any of my labs are.  I know where the typical CBC/CMP values are but not my vits.  I need to contact Linda who had revision DS and lives here in Tampa and see who her PCP is.  Maybe she has a better one than I.  Thanks for listening.
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
Renee2007
on 9/1/11 4:17 am - Central, FL
 Waiting a year for running your first set of full labs is not a great idea. You could be tanking and not know it. I would get the full set done to know exactly where you are especially after all of the problems you have had. Most often we just have to figure out our supplements and doses on our own or by coming here and posting our levels and getting advice from other vets or Vitalady. There are just not enough PCP's or nutritionists that understand our surgery and our needs. I would be in a world of hurt if I hadn't gotten on board here and followed Vitalady's plan.

Good luck!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

teachmid
on 9/1/11 4:18 am - OKC, OK
Terry,
I think checking with Linda is a good idea.

Is the prescription a dry D3? I'm currently taking 150,000 dry a day and am still low.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

stillhopefull
on 9/1/11 4:28 am
Hi Gail,
I'm not real sure if dry d or not.  I guess I am just frustrated and needed to vent.  I just sent Linda an e-mail so hopefully will hear back soon.  Have a great Labor Day weekend and I'll be waving at you tonight on my fly by.
Terry
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
teachmid
on 9/1/11 5:21 am - OKC, OK
Have a safe trip. Thinking of you and your DH. I saw Linda's picture on facebook and couldn't believe it was the same woman. She looks fabulous!

I'll wave as you fly over....
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/11 4:33 am - San Jose, CA
If the script is for a gel cap, it's the wrong form anyway - it's in oil.  And you don't need a script to get the proper dry D3 from Vitalady.