Just home from exploratory surgery, no internal hernia

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 11:52 am
 Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been feeling pretty crappy lately, and I haven't even been on this site. 

Anyway, yes, I've had a bunch of scans of my brain over the years, and they've all come back fine. My issues with migraines is more of a hereditary thing, and were brought on by hormone changes. Now, since I no longer have ovaries, changes in the barometric pressure is my biggest migraine trigger. 

Sucks in the spring and fall, with all the weather changes, but I'll take that over a hormone migraine anyday. 

So, no, nothing wrong with my pituitary itself, but I did have an ACTH challenge test in 2006 that came back showing a low ACTH level. I was told it was because of the pain patch and there was nothing they could do. I just needed to be off the patch. 

Anyway, for those who even care, about my Stomach Adventures. I saw my doctor today and he says my symptoms sound like yeast overgrowth in my intestines. And I'm thinking, hmm, I'm on Florinef now–which is a sort of steroid–and while I was on Cortef I got yeast infections in my mouth, in the folds of my skin, even in my outer ear! Twice! Who gets yeast infections in their ear?! 

So, yeah, that makes sense to me. Florinef helped at first, but apparently it's the devil in disguise and it. must. go. 

But that's not all. I had the pleasant surprise, two days after I left the hospital, of seeing maroon colored blood in my stool (TMI? too bad!). It seems I have a yucky colonoscopy in my future as well as whatever I gotta do to get rid of this yeast thingy. 

But,oh well, I'm in my forties now and that's just how things go.

I'm glad it isn't something worse, though I feel stupid for not seeing my PCP right off the bat. Feel free to kick me in the head cuz I deserve it. 

Lynda

rbb825
on 9/13/11 3:57 pm - Suffern, NY
Sorry you are going through all of this. Here is a link to florinef - its side effects, etc and yes, yeast infections and blood in your stool can both be from the florinef. But, talk to you doctor before stopping it. It is a steroid and can't be just stopped abruptly.  I know with prednisone, they have to tapper it over time and the info on florinef says you can't stop abruptly.

Did they put you on Diflucan?  This is a pill that treats systemic yeast infections or difficult to treat yeast infections. It works really well.  I don't think there is really any other way to treat yeast in your intestines once it is bad enough to cause problems.  If you aren't already, make sure you are taking a PPI - nexium, protonix, prevacid or prilosec to protect yourself from getting an ulcer or if you already have one (with the bleeding) from getting worse.  The steroids are really hard on our stomachs and need PPI's to protect them.

What are you taking the florinef for?  I know it is usually used for either blood pressure problems or Addison's disease - addisons is an adrenal problem, not pituitary.

Florinef (Fludrocortisone) Drug Information: User Reviews, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Dosage at RxList

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 6:42 pm
 Oh my gosh, you're right! I forgot that I can't drop the Florinef cold turkey. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm taking the Florinef to help my Mystery Tachycardia problem and for all the weakness and fatigue I've been dealing with. It seems my blood pressure goes up and down too much, and the Florinef is to help stabilize it. It did help at first, but then I guess infection set in and I just went downhill again. 

And yes, I do take Nexium. Thanks for the link, by the way.

Lynda
rbb825
on 9/14/11 4:03 am - Suffern, NY
You mentioned previously that you had trouble with your ACTH levels?  Do you still see an Endocrinologist?  Have you recently had your ACTH or cortisol levels checked? fluctuating blood pressure and tachycardia along with some of the other problems you have talked about can go along with adrenal problems - addisons which florinef is actually a treatment for.

Dagny
on 9/13/11 7:09 pm - NY
My heart goes out to you. I know of no pain worse than dental pain. It radiates through your head, along your bones, and throbs enough to drive you to your knees.

Even the DS didn't hurt as much as some dental pain I have had.

RX Tylenol has codeine. How does your stomach handle codeine?

I wish I could help you. Did I miss it? Why can't you have ibuprofen? Not that that will be enough.

My prayers are with you.