Liquid based vitamins: How worthless are we talkin'?

Justin K.
on 9/1/11 6:41 am - Grand Island, NE
So I'm curious as to the level of worthlessness liquid based vitamins are for us.  I know we malabsorb fat and thus the vitamin as well, and that solid/dry vitamins are the way to go for us.

My question centers on the fact that surely, taking a liquid vitamin is better than taking nothing.  So if it's better than taking nothing, do we know how much better? 

Hypothetical: Say you took 50,000IU of liquid D3, would your body absorb 10,000IU? 5000? 2000?  Has anyone got any idea?

Thanks -
Justin
beemerbeeper
on 9/1/11 7:21 am - AL
There are other types of liquids than just oil.  If something is OIL based I don't think I personally absorb ANY of it.  Or at best 20%.

If it is in some other liquid (like water) then you probably would absorb it.

What product are you specifically referring to?

As far as I know you need to get the DRY versions of A D E and K and I've never heard of a liquid version of these.  But I don't know everything.

Is there some reason you can't just get what we KNOW works for us?

~Becky

rubytica
on 9/1/11 7:57 am - GA
Unfortunately, I had bought these in GNC when my surgeon recommended it before surgery.  I guess they don't work for us as I see their main ingredient is oil.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3455117

beemerbeeper
on 9/1/11 8:02 am - AL
Ruby they've done studies that show that we only absorb approximately 20% of fat.  Which is why we can eat butter and other fat rich foods and still lose weight. 

So, no, you should not bother taking those.  Give them to a family member or friend.

You need to take DRY A, D, E and K.  Calcium CITRATE, and the rest from here:

www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

Vitamin deficiencies are VERY serious business.  VERY.  It is terribly hard to dig out from a deficient status.  You can do pemanent damage to organs including your heart and brain without the correct vitamins.

I know you know this Ruby, just saying it for the lurker or newbie who might be reading.

Here's a link about vitamin deficiencies that is pretty scary:www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4009470/PLEASE-help-me-%20scar e-the-CRAP-out-of-a-DSer-who-is-not/action,replies/topic_id, 4009470/page,1/

~Becky

rubytica
on 9/1/11 8:14 am - GA
Thank you Becky, you are always so helpful.  Thanks to you and others I know all this otherwise I would be taking the liquid D3 that was recommended by my Dr.

Thanks again
Ruby
Lori F.
on 9/1/11 8:20 am - Chula Vista, CA
Ummm...don't you think it's SCARY that the DOCTOR recommended the liquid? Jeesh- we've got to be on our toes with this (lurkers, take note!).
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Kayla B.
on 9/2/11 1:05 am - Austin, TX
MCT oil is actually absorbed a little bit different than a regular fat.  They have a different way they get across the intestine and that way does not require bile (like a regular fat).  So, absorption isn't quite so bad in us.

But regardless, you have an altered gut and you might not absorb much to begin with, plus the dosage is pretty tiny.

I'd still take it if you already bought it, but use it as a supplement to a better large dose pill.  Won't hurt.

I still haven't quite got it nailed down in my head how our "dry" vitamins cross the intestine and whether they go straight to the blood or make a pit stop in our lymph system.  I just know they work.  haha...
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/2/11 1:31 am, edited 9/2/11 1:32 am - Tuvalu

Just dickin' around with the numbers...

there are 535 servings of 400 IUs each in each bottle.
so it would take 125 "servings" to get to ONE 50k IU dry D3 capsule we get from Vitalady.
I take two or three of those capsules per day.

so, IF I absorbed oil, that bottle would last me two days at best.  But if I'm only absorbing 20% of the oil based product, that whole bottle would last me almost a day.