Anyone ever try protein pills?

butercup
on 9/1/11 5:37 am - Kennewick, WA
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried them to help supplement your protein. 
Justin K.
on 9/1/11 6:35 am - Grand Island, NE
I have and do, though I just take 1 a day to make sure I am getting all of the amino acids I need.  The problem with protein pills is that they are HUGE and harder to swallow, and generally only have 1g of protein per pill.  So you'll be taking a significant amount of them to suppliment your diet to any real degree.

Justin
butercup
on 9/1/11 8:42 am - Kennewick, WA
Just ONE gram?!?  That's ridiculous.  I thought it would be more than that.
beemerbeeper
on 9/1/11 7:13 am - AL
Why would we?  How many pills would you have to take to equal one shake?  26? 

Shakes, protein coffee and shake cakes.  Whey based or egg based protein.  Not collagen based.

~Becky

Mommy2006
on 9/1/11 8:42 am
 Truthfully I'd never heard of them, but if they only had 1G of protein per pill? Hah fat chance. You can practically get more sniffing a block of cheese. (This coming from someone who doesn't do many shakes/bars, due to a sugar alcohol issue.)

beemerbeeper
on 9/1/11 8:58 am - AL
There isn't any sugar alcohols in protein powder is there?  I add splenda and dark cocoa to mine.  I can't do much sugar alcohols either.

~Becky

Mommy2006
on 9/1/11 9:21 am
What do you use? Maybe it's because all the ones I have are flavored? But I have at least 7 sitting in my cabinet and they all have sugar alcohols. I've tried 2 unflavored protein powders so far but they both just made me cringe. I'm going to try again, though. I think I tried the first one too soon after my first surgery, and the second too soon after my second surgery. My taste buds are always wacky then.

And bars? Hah forget it! They almost all have sugar alcohols, and if they don't they have tons of carbs.

But my uncle gave me a big cannister of some kind of protein powder he got online. It's all natural and has no sugar alcohols. I haven't tried it yet because it's technically expired, but never opened and was stored with his food storage stuff (long story).

beemerbeeper
on 9/1/11 9:33 am - AL
Whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, natural and artificial flavor (includes annatto and turmeric added for color), soy protein isolate, sunflower oil, maltodextrin, polydextrose, corn syrup solids, magnesium phosphate, cellulose gum, soy lecithin, dextrose, sodium caseinate, salt, mono- and diglycerides, potassium phosphate, calcium phosphate, sucralose, medium chain triglycerides, acesulfame K, ascorbic acid, zinc sulfate, alpha¬tocopherol acetate, tocopherols added to protect flavor, niacinamide, L-selenomethionine, reduced iron, calcium pantothenate, copper gluconate, manganese sulfate, vitamin A palmitate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, chromium chloride, biotin, potassium iodide, sodium molybdate, phytonadione, vitamin 03, vitamin B12.

That is Chike.  What I used for my weight loss period.

This next one is Champion Pure Whey Stack:

Ingredients: Micro-filtered and ion-exchange whey protein concentrate and isolate, whey peptides, glycine, natural and artificial flavoring, acesulfame-potassium. Contains milk and soy.

Note: Nutritional Facts and Ingredients may vary slightly depending upon flavor.

Other Ingredients: Maltodextrin (from low-glycemic waxy maize), citric acid, natural and artificial flavoring, sucralose, acesulfame-potassium, lake red 40, blue 2 lake.

The product on my counter in the kitchen has no SAs either.  So I don't know what you've tried that has SAs in it.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/11 9:02 am - San Jose, CA
Just FYI, there are 28 grams in an ounce - and not everything in a "protein pill" is the amino acids - there are fillers, salts, etc.  An ounce of cheese has 7 g of protein.  An ounce of canned chicken breast contains 6 g of protein.  If you think about it for a moment, how could you expect a pill you can swallow to have much protein in it?
butercup
on 9/1/11 9:18 am - Kennewick, WA
I was trying to think of something to help supplement during my pre op surgery prep clear liquid phase.  I just can't drink my shakes made with water, I've tried and I gag.  Would It be a big deal if I worked milk into it just to get the protein in?  Or do you have another protein suggestion for the clear liquids.  Broths don't seem to have much.

I think I'll try mixing Crystal Light into my vanilla shakes, maybe that will be tolerable.