DSers and Crohns disease or bowel obstructions?

larra
on 8/31/11 1:33 pm - bay area, CA
Crohn's can affect any part of the intestines, thought the small intestine is the most common location. The colon is also a relatively common location. Crohn's can cause pain, and/or diarrhea, and obstruction is a potential complication of Crohn's.

But it sounds to me like a definitely diagnosis of Crohn's has not been established for you. I think a colonoscopy would be a great idea, and if any areas of abnormality are seen, they can do biopsies. Sometimes they can even get a look at the very last part of the small intestine where it joins with the colon, but not always. If you do have Crohn's, there are specific drugs that can be used to treat it, so a diagnosis would be helpful.
    If the colonoscopy isn't helpful, an upper GI x-ray with small bowel follow through can often establish a diagnosis of Crohn's. The small bowel part is crucial. In your case, because of the DS, not all the small bowel would be visualized, but at least your alimentary limb and common channel would be seen.

My gut feeling, so to speak, is that this may not be Crohn's at all, but rather a complication of your MS. MS is such a strange and unpredictable disease, but it can affect any part of the intestines, and you have already experienced gastroparesis from it. It could be affecting your colon or small intestine, and could wax and wane. It would help explain the constipation if the nerves controling your colon have been impaired by MS and are not doing their usual job of making the muscles of the bowel wall propel the stool forward. Crohn's does not usually cause constipation.

Bottom line, a better work-up and involvement of a GI guy are needed.

Larra
yeaokaybye
on 9/1/11 11:42 am
Larra,

Thank you for all your advice.  Its so hard sometimes to try and keep a clear mind when I have Dr's throwing ideas at me every which way and I have so many other health issues besides the MS on my plate.  I feel like I cant catch a break and maybe somehow they're all inter related to each other.  
Im going to push for a scope and colonoscopy.  lol at this point in my life theres no such thing as shame or embarassment. :)

Thanks again!

I'm the Queen... my pantyhose say so!!!!!!!

sandyv63
on 9/1/11 9:48 am - Naples, FL
Not sure if you are familiar with this remedy for autoimmune diseases or not so I will put this out there:

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/
yeaokaybye
on 9/1/11 11:27 am
Hi Sandy :)

Yes I am, I take 4.5 mg of LDN daily, but thank you !  Not many people I have met are aware of it.  It works great for my sleep!

I'm the Queen... my pantyhose say so!!!!!!!

sixrealms
on 9/6/11 2:55 pm
YeaOkayBye,
I just  "met" you today on Medicare at University of Chicago discussions from 11/10. I'm sadden to find that today you're experiencing pain. I hope that you're finding some periods of comfort and soon find a solution.