My support group is a waste of time!

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 8:56 am
Last time I went - fall of 2010 - there were only 2 DSers, myself and another lady. 

Now I know it's not a good thing to bash support groups - thy are a necessary component of any post op bariatric treatment plan.  99.5% of these people are from my hospital's program, or are failed RNY's or Lap Bands going for revisions. 

I'm sorry but I have better things to do with an hour and a half than listen to stuff about food mourning, "CHEW-CHEW-CHEW", how to avoid stretching your "pouch". 

These people are sentenced to a lifetime of dieting, if the RNY lasts that long.

I have gotten more relevant information from this board than I've ever gotten from that group.  I was required to go as a pre-op, but I just feel it's a total waste of time now. The DS support group is a two hour drive to the hospital where I had my surgery, and I have an 8:30 am class the next day.

Has anyone else run into irrelevant support groups where they live?
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 9:02 am - Lafayette, IN
i dont go to mine anymore either. there were no other dsers. one of the leaders of my group tried to talk me out of having the ds pre op so i didnt stick around very long post op. my husband works 2nd shift and i dont drive so going to indy is out of the question. the support here is sooo much better than i could ever get locally.
beth-28
on 8/31/11 11:01 am
The one I went to (because it was required) was a waste of time for me because it was a support group for all surgeries, but was geared for the RNY. There was nothing I could use or the DS, there were no other DS'ers in the group, and it was nothing I hadn't already read about 20 times.

Now that I have said why it wasn't right for me, I can say that it probably was good for someone getting the RNY, or people without any other support.

I will not go back. I get all the support I need from this site (plus more accurate/relevant information), and my family
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

beemerbeeper
on 8/31/11 12:06 pm - AL
The only support group I've been to that was worth a damn was the DS cruise!!!!  A week of non-stop love, laughter, understanding and SUPPORT!!!  It rocked!!!

I wouldn't waste my time with a non-DS group.

~Becky

fradcliff
on 8/31/11 10:50 pm
DS on 01/25/11 with
  Hello,  There is no DS groups close to me either (Akron, OH)  I went to a support group before surgery and got the same info you did. These poor people don't have a clue, I ask them why they chose the surgery they did and the response was always the same...

" This is what my doctor TOLD me to get" 

All were Band or RNY, They just talked "CHEW CHEW CHEW" OR "SIP SIP SIP"  what a waste of time. I have not been to one since and do not plan on going back. The info and support I get from this board is all I need.

Thank You!!  to all the 'VETs"  who keep us educated and motivated .