PSA- McDonalds SF iced coffee

LuckyLibrarian
on 8/31/11 8:04 am - Plumerville, AR
Only the flavor syrup is sugar free. There is a base mix, a clear syrup, that actually contains sugar in EVERY iced coffee. I get plain iced coffees (without sf vanilla, or caramel) all the time, and they are super sweet.

A McD employee actually pointed this out to me. Go in and ask to see the base syrup they put in before they add the coffee. Full of sugar.

Xo
Kristen
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 8:43 am

I make my own, protein rich, sugar-free Hazelnut iced coffee.

Here's the recipe:

12 oz cold hazelnut decaf coffee, or preferred flavor (make it the night before, and put it in a bottle in the refrigerator)

12 oz whole milk (~ 11g protein per serving)

2 scoops unflavored whey protein isolate ( I use NOW Sports 25g protein) 

1/4 cup heavy cream

Splenda (or preferred  sf sweetener) to taste

Ice

Pour coffee into 28 oz Blender Bottle, add whey protein isolate, replace top, shake until mixed well.  Add milk, heavy cream , replace top, shake until smooth (no lumps).  Add sf sweetener, stir, add ice.  ENJOY!
LuckyLibrarian
on 8/31/11 8:47 am - Plumerville, AR
Yum!
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 8:56 am, edited 8/31/11 8:57 am - TX
Yep.  I got an iced coffee from there, ordered with no syrup, took one sip, turned the car around and went in and said "This is disgusting, I said no syrup."

And they gave me the whole spiel about how there is a liquid sweetener they are trained to put in when they make the iced coffee.  I said

"When one orders a hot coffee, one must request sweetener.  Let's break training and employ logic: If sugar is on request when the coffee is hot, it should be on request when the coffee is iced.  In a culture where obesity and diabetes are rampant and fast food, particularly you all, is getting most of the blame, surely it dawns that adding sugar to anything, unless upon request, is a bad idea?"

(As diatribes go, I thought it was one of my better ones)

The response "Um, so you want me to re-make it without the sweetner?"

So now when I get one (and they are few and far between as I have a Starbucks 50yds away from the McD's and a coffee maker at home to boot), I emphatically state I want no sweetener of any sort in it.  Just coffee and cream.  For health reasons.

But I'm witchy like that.

"Yes, dear one, yes I do"