Just turned 15 and want the DS (Please Read)

Julie R.
on 9/1/11 1:42 am - Ludington, MI
Hello Samuel:

Happy Birthday!   I am a teacher, and I would give anything to have more students that are as articulate, goal-driven and inquisitive as you!   I'd hazard a guess that your mom is very proud of you.   I am very impressed with the research that you have done on obtaining the DS.    I have to agree with Diana, however, that you might want to wait a few years before actually undergoing this procedure.  It's rough being a heavy kid during the teenage years, however, and I understand your eagerness to start living a thinner life.    As others have mentioned, it doesn't mean that you can't begin preparing for the possibility of having the DS now.     Keep an eye on the simple carbs - especially in the forms of liquids.    Be aware of good sources of protein and what your needs are for your age, sex and body weight.    Start getting used to moving - even if it's taking a walk every day.   Drink your water  - you'll need to make sure you do plenty of that as a post-op too.     One DS'er, Dina McComb, is not present as much on these boards as she was, but is on the Facebook DS board a lot.   I *think* her son had the VSG at 14.   You might want to look her up and pick her brain a bit too.   I'll see if I can find her out there somewhere and send her your way!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

SirSamAlot
on 9/1/11 10:24 am - Ellenwood, GA
Thanks. I've posted on the VSG board about my situation and I'm waiting approval for the post by a moderator and can you provide me the Facebook link for the ds board if you do have. I really appreciate your post, because I was truly worried what you and other vets would say about my post.

Samuel E. 
5'10
300 to 310lbs
A teenager seeking the VSG.

Julie R.
on 9/1/11 10:31 am - Ludington, MI
 Sam, it's a closed group, but I think I can add you if you have a FB page.    I'm not real savvy about stuff like that!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Mommy2006
on 9/1/11 9:30 am
Hi Sam!
I second what Julie says. I'd give anything to have more adults as articulate as you!

Diana gave you some fabulous advice.
You sound smart enough to know what to do with it. :)

StacyAnn07
on 9/2/11 1:38 am - Del City, OK
Hi Samuel!! Happy late birthday and welcome!! I was 16 when I first started looking into WLS. I was pretty close to having the RNY also but my dr told me that most kids don't do well with a major lifestyle change such as WLS. It was harsh but opened my eyes up to the fact that he was pretty right. I knew I wasn't really ready for that much commitment. Now I will be 23 in a few weeks and also will be havung surgery in a few weeks. I am so prepared now and fully ready to commit to the lifestyle change. Seems like 16 was yesterday but I think waiting is probably your best bet. I also would recomend you starting to become more active and making wise choices with your food. The VSG might be your best bet first as someone mentioned. Either way Good luck and I wish you all the best!!!