Just turned 15 and want the DS (Please Read)

Kathleen F.
on 9/1/11 9:51 am
I think you misunderstood the 23 years part. She meant that this particular surgery has only been around for 23 years. Not that life expectancy is only 23 years after surgery! I believe the man who had the surgery first is still alive.
SirSamAlot
on 9/1/11 9:56 am - Ellenwood, GA
Oh, thanks for clarifying that!
newyorkbitch
on 9/1/11 10:24 am
Very wise Sam.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/31/11 12:22 pm, edited 8/31/11 12:24 pm
Hi Sam!

Happy birthday!

I think it's great that you're thinking far ahead about your health, and the long term problems that come hand-in-hand with obesity are things you've already thought about a great deal.

A lot of us here have been overweight since childhood, and most of us who have had the DS ask ourselves "why didn't I do this sooner?", so I don't think theres anything wrong about investigating WLS at the age of 15 (although you may want to wait a little while before actually getting the surgery, but there's nothing wrong woth starting your research now), especially if obesity is already effecting your quality of life. It also sounds like you're taking DS nutritional compliance very seriously, this is great! That is a very healthy mindset to have. Although I don't think you'll need to take 50 vitamins a day, I'm glad this is something you're willing to do. The other signifigant nutritional commitment is making sure you eat 100grams of protein each day. It's difficult to eat such volume when you're under 1 year post op (when the stomach is healing), and you may have to rely on protein shakes to bridge the gap.

Let us know how things go when you speak to your mom, little by little, about considering WLS for you. Many of us had to educate our families and loved ones about the DS before having the surgery, and some members here may have some good advice on how to communicate the details without frightening the listener

Eliz is right that you have plenty of time to do your research, and that if your parents don't feel WLS is right for you, it is only a matter of time before you can make the decision on your own.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

SirSamAlot
on 8/31/11 12:56 pm - Ellenwood, GA
Thank you. I'm going to tell tomorrow! just hope they somewhat understand where I'm coming from.

Samuel E. 
5'10
300 to 310lbs
A teenager seeking the VSG.

Janine P.
on 8/31/11 12:49 pm - Long Island, NY
Hi Samuel - Happy Birthday!!!

Number 1 - You're very mature and well spoken for your age and that is certainly impressive.  You're very much welcome on this forum. 

I'm behind Diana Cox - You're not physically grown yet, and that's my only major concern.  We have Brok and Jessica, who've both had the DS under 20 years old and have been extremely successful, so WLS at a young age is not unheard of.  You're just a little too young at the moment.

Keep up that great attitude!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

beth-28
on 8/31/11 1:04 pm
Samuel,

Congrats on taking AP classes! I know your mother must be proud of you. I have a son your age also in 10th grade and he is in the IB program, so I know how challenging those classes are. Keep up the good work with your schooling. It will pay off in the long run!

Beth
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/31/11 1:15 pm - Tuvalu

Sam...Diana brought up the things I would have...I'm going to say them a different way.

1--Men grow until they are about 24.  Growth means they are building bones.  That takes calcium and calcium is one of the things we--who are NOT still growing--REALLY have to stay on top of.  If you put yourself in a situation where you cannot get enough calcium and other nutrients in to keep up your growth...and other development...you'll be in deep poo-poo.

2--Besides insurance, there is the COST of taking all those supplements.  Many here get away with spending less...but many DO spend $100/month.

3--And the 70+ year thing.  No one has any CLUE as to what using supplements as a source for vitamins and nutrients will do for thirty years...or forty.  You're looking at a LOT longer time.  If you put yourself in a position to need a lifetime of supplements the week before some Magic Pill comes out...you're going to wish we had chased you away with sticks.

Sue

Mdae
on 8/31/11 2:39 pm
I think you got a lot of excellent responses, particularly from Elizabeth and Diana.

You are young, maybe a little 'too' young.  But use this time wisely!  Learn more!  Attend free seminars.  Start taking vitamins now.  Exercise more.  Be as healthy as you can be when your surgery date finally arrives.  And be patient and don't give up.  Many people here had to wait years, even though they were adults.

Hope to see you around here a lot more.

no_more_rolls
on 9/1/11 12:35 am - Jackson, MI
Hi Samuel and welcome to OH!  I hope you have a wonderful birthday!  

In a lot of ways I agree with the veterans that have replied to you, but for my own personal reasons I also have mixed feelings.  When I was 15 I was very mature for my age, but I was also obese (we are going back well over 20 years ago).  I remember talking to my dad about my weight and being very upset...to the point of tears.  I talked about WLS with him, the dieting and exercising I tried, I talked about taking diet pills, and even begged to get my jaw wired shut if I couldn't have WLS.  I did not have access to the internet or a way to research my ideas/dreams...they were only things I had heard about.  

Fast forward 15 years or so, I talked about my weight issues to my father again.  I talked about the years of yo-yo dieting, health issues I was beginning to develop, etc.  I had done some research on the RNY and even had a few friends that had it done.  My insurance would not cover it and the place I considered having it done at quoted me a price just over $30,000.  He put his arms around me and told me he thought I was making a drastic decision and he wished there was some way he could comfort me.  I didn't go through with it.

Now almost 6 years after my father's death, I finally got the DS.  I had never even heard of it before he passed away.  I honestly feel things happen for a reason.  There is a lot more to my story....but the point is your loved ones may not support you in this decision even though they may sympathize with you.  Also you are the one that will go through all the emotions of obesity...even when I've lost enough weight to be a normal BMI (multiple times in life) I still struggled with it.  I understand how much you want to have WLS...especially since you have taken it upon yourself to research the DS the way you have.  You (and your mother) should be very proud.

With that said, I am only a few months out from getting my DS.  I have had ups and downs (often more downs).  I am no where near goal, but I do look forward to at least getting close to goal...someday.  I am not a perfect DS'er...I still struggle getting my fluids and protein in, I occasionally forget to take my supplements, I honestly feel like eating at this point consumes my life (and I still can't get in all the protein I am supposed to!).  Honestly, I am not sure IF I had gotten a DS at 15 or even 30 it would be much different OR IF I would have struggled even more.  I think I may have struggled more. 

There are SOME DS'ers under age 18.  I have seen the videos of them on youtube, but they are rare.  The youngest I believe was age 11 or 12?  Many surgeons (especially the good ones) may not do it based on your age.  My concern for you is would you be able to afford the cost of your supplements when you are first out on your own or in college?  I know young people will often sacrifice things they may need for "wants" such as going out with friends or that pair of fresh gym shoes...I've done it myself.    You can NOT do that if you get the DS or you will put your health at serious risk.  Supplements would HAVE to come first!  My other concern is what if you lose or do not have health insurance?  Will you be able to get your much needed labs and/or bone density scans?  I think IF you could have the support of your family and they agreed to help you with the cost of your supplements until you were in a position to financially obtain them yourself that then maybe the DS is an option for you at 15.

Honestly, I would suggest the VSG (sleeve) for you now at your age only because it does not have the malabsorption so you will not require the supplements the DS'er needs.  Another concern is you are still growing...how will the malabsorption affect your growth?  One of my daughters is 22 and I recommended the sleeve to her for now...only because of her life style and age.  IF for whatever reason you do later need the malabsoprtion factor of the DS, you can have the "second step" performed when you are older.  

I'm not opposed to you having WLS at age 15...I just feel you should do the DS in 2 steps (even though the weight loss is not as good).  I think you should do couseling pre and post op to help you with the changes (both mentally and to prove you know what is needed of you).  Most importantly I feel you need a good support system.  As a mother I would be worried to death about you having ANY surgery...but as someone that has struggled with obesity life long I support you.

May the outcome be the best for you and yours 

~Roxy

And yet another post longer than I wanted  LOL

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"