Just turned 15 and want the DS (Please Read)

SirSamAlot
on 8/31/11 11:01 am - Ellenwood, GA
   Well Hi, I'm Samuel, just turned 15 years old today, at the time of this writing, (and happy about it, because it was the best birthday I had while at school since Kindergarten when my mom brought my class a cake and I got a hamster), in the 10th grade, and new here. I've always hated my weight. I've been big since I was a kid in Pre-K, which I find is disappointng. I've slowly have dealt with it by just laughing it off, but you know deep down it hurts. Well over the summer I really wanted to see about WLS. I know many people think why wls at a young age, when you don't have a job or live outside of your parent's house and you only job right now is to get A's and B's, but I really don't mind much. Well i googled WLS and lucikly found this site. At first for 2 whole weeks I was reading post on the RNY. I didn't want to look at the Lap-Band, because I heard many times before that it could be dangerous and no other procedure, because I seem to like the RNY, besides dumping, reactive hygolcemia, and the possibility of stitches coming apart, but that is always a possibility. But then for one day, for some reason, I clicked the Duodenal Switch tab and I read 45 pages on post in a day. I read that the DS is a good surgery for almost anyone and you have the highest success chance for losing weight, diabetes, my dad has diabetes and I have always ran the risk to get it and surprisingly I haven't been diagnosed yet, sleep apnea, don't think I have it, and other comobrities. I read from the veterans, such as Julie R., DianaCox, Elizabeth N., an upcoming veteran beemerbeeper, and many others. I'm not wanting DS to just lose weight and eat the same, I want the DS to change my life for the better forever. I don't want to have diabetes, sleep apena, GERD, etc. I want to be in a "normal" body in my own defintion, which is in the right BMI range wearing shirts like a medium to large and a pants at a 36 or less, or close to that. I know I might have to take 30 vitamins a day, maybe even more, multiple times a day during school, college, work, just until I die and I can deal with that. It is that or taking high cholesterol, insulin, and many more. Rather take 30-40 vitamins and be healthy than take 5 to 10 pills, if lucky, and be unhealthy. I am quite mature for my age, many adults say, such as my not typing this whole thing in "text talk" with adding and extra letter to each word. I know a few might be shocked, but there are people my age on this site, if you didn't know, under Weight Related Topics- Teen and Childhood Obesity. I would of posted there, but few post there. I know this is life changing, but its for the better and I can deal with that. ALSO, I want to tell my mom about this tonight , sinc eit's my b-day and she will understand me more and not be mad. I do understand her saying no and being mad, because she is my mom. I can wait until I'm of age and can finacially support myself and have other support, which probably will be in 10 to 15 years. I just wanted to just make myself known, because I decided just to make an account on my birthday, just because plus I'm weird and different, and I've been counting down to this very moment for the last 2 weeks. Thanks for all in advance *****ad this and post. I know few people will judge me, but please don't. Though I could be either your child, grandchild, or possibly your great-grandchild, I'm huamn just like all of you. Thank you all and if you want to test me and see how much I've actually study the DS, please do, though I might not be an A+ student on it. Thanks to all *****ad, post, and understand!

-Samuel E.

Samuel E. 
5'10
300 to 310lbs
A teenager seeking the VSG.

newyorkbitch
on 8/31/11 11:10 am
You are simply not old enough to make this decision,  which will affect the rest of your life in many ways.  Furthermore,  your adult height and bone mass is not even established yet.

What is your BMI?  Do you have any comorbidities?

Are you in therapy?

Happy birthday.

SirSamAlot
on 8/31/11 11:20 am - Ellenwood, GA
My BMI is around 45 to 48 and I don't have any comorbidities...wel atleast yet, because I am high risk for diabetes. No I'm not in therapy. It's hard for me to talk to a person about my inner self when I don't even know them. And I understand your concern. I can always wait until I'm adult!

Samuel E. 
5'10
300 to 310lbs
A teenager seeking the VSG.

newyorkbitch
on 8/31/11 11:25 am
Please talk to your mother about getting you into therapy.
beth-28
on 8/31/11 11:14 am
Hi Samuel,

Happy Birthday.  You do seem to be very mature for your age, and hopefully your mom will listen to you. I understand that 15 is young to be thinking about wls, but I know that if you have been overweight all your life, it may continue into adulthood. I hope that you and your mother can decide together what is best for you.

Take care and keep us posted,

Beth
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Felicia S.
on 8/31/11 11:16 am - Lincoln, NE
Hi Samuel!  You seem to be very very well educated about the DS and, indeed, very mature for your age.  I have a 14- and 16- year-old son, and they are no where near as mature as you seem to be.

Your parents may very well say no.  It is a scary surgery...any surgery is for your child.  I think, though, you are doing the right thing by researching all of your options.

If they do say no, like you said, when you are an adult you can make the decision to do it on your own.

I know that some teens your age have gotten the VSG (that is the part of the DS where they remove 75% of your stomach).  With that surgery there is not a malabsortion aspect...which in someone so young may be more than sufficient.  (I'm not a doctor, though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.)

I wish you tons of happiness and success with whatever you and your mother should end up deciding to do.

Happy Birthday!!!! 

:) Felicia
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

LuckyLibrarian
on 8/31/11 11:22 am - Plumerville, AR
Sam,

Happy birthday! I applaud you for making such a great decision at your age. I wish I had your courage when I was 15. I was only about 30lbs overweight then, and I am 210 lbs over now. The sooner you can get a handle on it, the better for your prosperity. I bet your mom will not get mad at you, but rather scared for your safety during surgery. I am 30, and dealing with my mom's fears, as well. It will work out for you, keep your chin up. Educate yourself as much as possible. Ask your school librarian how to conduct scholarly research using databases. You will find a treasure trove of info! Please continue posting on this, and other, forums. The veterens on this site (I'm a pre-op newbie) are a wealth of info and support.

Be well,

Kristen
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 11:32 am
Elizabeth N.
on 8/31/11 11:35 am - Burlington County, NJ
Hi Samuel and welcome. Happy Birthday and good for you to start researching this issue.

Hang out here, read, talk and learn. That's a great thing. Learn how to read the professional literature as well. It's important to get lots of information, particularly the hard core REAL information that comes from scientific and medical literature.

Don't get in a hurry. It's going to take a while, probably a few years altogether, to get to where you're truly ready to move forward to the actual surgery. You need to really, really know your stuff, better than would be expected of most adults, because you're going to get questioned and challenged a LOT more because of your age.

This is a substantial body of information you need to not only learn in the "study for the test" way, but in the internalizing, really apply it to life way. This is a skill you have, I fervently hope, BEGUN to learn, although schools are set up to detract from such a skill. (Don't get me started on that "no child left behind" crap.)

You've seen some of my writings. Well, I first started researching WLS in about 2000, and came on here in 2002. I came to the subject with a really good, strong knowledge of nutrition, diet and exercise, and a fair amount of other health and psychology knowledge as well. I discovered the DS a little over a year before I had surgery. That's how long it took me to learn the material and get ready to do this.

Take your time and get it right, my friend. No rushing allowed.

Yes, there are young people who have WLS and a few who have the DS. Brok and JessyW come to mind, though Brok was a bit older than you are now. There are a few others too.

I have a favor to ask you for your future posts: Would you please make paragraphs? It's really hard to read big chunks of text. Thanks :-).

SirSamAlot
on 8/31/11 11:40 am - Ellenwood, GA
Thanks and I apologize. I had to start homework, so I was just typing up a storm. I'll probably talk to her with the next 30 minutes about it and come back and infrom you guys on what she says. Also, I kind of mention this to her before, because she brought on the topic of surgery on my upper body from possibly losing weight and I told her about the duodenal switch, but not in much detail. She wasn't mad or anything, though.