I want to slap my sleep apnea doctor...so tempting

determineddanni
on 9/1/11 2:53 am
Just got news....

I found a place I could travel to that could do it but now my PCP will not refer me out to this location. So .... it is final I am stuck with what I have.
Elizabeth N.
on 9/1/11 11:31 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Well fuckitall. Here's hoping assertiveness brings the guy into line. You can do it! 

sandyv63
on 9/1/11 9:38 am - Naples, FL
Having recently done the sleep study thing I can tell you that your sleep doctor can't stand in your way. Regardless of his personal opinion regarding WLS, it is his responsibility to treat your apnea. In my case, it wasn't the doctor who did the actual study or wrote the actual report; it was the tech. The doctor just signed off on the report.  I am guessing it will be the same in your situation. The  report will indicate how long you slept and how many incidences you had of interrupted sleep. Based on this they will rate your apnea. It is a purely mathematical formula and not subjective at all. They will make recommendations to help relieve it including using a CPAP machine and losing weight but they will not specify how you should lose weight as that is not for them to determine.  He cannot stand in your way or go against your surgeon's and/or primary care physician's recommendation. All he can do is report on  your sleep apnea and treatment for that is pretty straight forward. His personal opinion about WLS is just that - his personal opinion.