Hospital discharge after DS (Dr. Gagner) w/o caregiver

jmckel1
on 8/31/11 2:02 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thanks, Sue. I am in no way underestimating the seriousness of this surgery. I had planned to stay in Montreal a few days and take the train or fly home.
michelehei
on 8/31/11 2:19 am, edited 8/31/11 2:22 am
Hi Julie,

I was just released from RocklandMD Sunday.  You will need your husband. I have my husband here in the hotel with me (we are leaving today on an afternoon flight back to Chicago) and I could not have done this post op course without him.  I would see if someone can pick up your son from school and watch him until you arrive home. 
Good luck with surgery!  Dr. Gagner is the best!!  If you have any specific questions please pm me.  I spent three nights there.  Take care!

Kim
Janet P.
on 8/31/11 3:15 am
I don't think it matters who is doing your surgery or where you are having your surgery. You are having MAJOR surgery and need someone with you on your trip home. Traveling by yourself on a train 3 days after MAJOR surgery should be out of the question. Who's going to carry your bags?? I'm assuming you'll have something you have to carry.  What if as you're walking through the train station someone bumps into you and you fall?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

jmckel1
on 8/31/11 3:22 am - Ottawa, Canada
 OK, I'm convinced. My husband and son will pick me up at the hospital and stay with me for 3-4 days in Montreal after the surgery. Thanks again to all for your input and insight.
KarenFlorida
on 8/31/11 4:04 am - Orlando, FL
I dragged my mother and my 1 year old (I'm a single mom) all the way from Florida to Montreal, and it was indeed a pain! However, you need someone with you immediately after discharge to make sure you are doing ok. If he will let you go straight home, then Allie's suggestion sounds good. If he wants you in a hotel for 2-3 days, you will need someone with you during that time.

PM me if you want to, for othr questions on the process.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Joanlaptods
on 9/1/11 11:35 pm
Hi Julie
I went alone from newfoundland for my DS from lapband revision on March 9 with Dr Gagner in Montreal. I had surgery on a wednesday, wish I had help while there for 2 days postop ie requesting pain meds assistance to get things etc. I was discharged friday. I went by taxi to my hotel. I told the hotel I had surgery they checked on me and brougt me yogurt I requested from the breakfast buffet. I had stocked up on premixed protein before surgery. I went home sunday by air canada with wheelchair assistance from the time of check in. It can be done but having someone with you is better.
Joan

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

newyorkbitch
on 9/2/11 12:20 am
It's great that you managed,  and that nothing went wrong.  But it was definitely a risk and something that is NOT advisable if you have the option of having someone with you.

Prepare for the worst,  hope for the best.

KarenFlorida
on 9/2/11 8:28 am - Orlando, FL
He must have changed that policy recently. I had my surgery after yours, and they were adamant that someone needed to be there to pick me up from the hospital. It wasnt an issue for me because that was how I'd planned it, but they made sure to let me know!

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Catnip
on 9/2/11 12:29 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Speak to Dr G directly.

When he and I were talkiing about surgery he was willing to release me to someone knowing that I was going to travel back to Ottawa immediately given that it only 1.5 to 2 hours drive and I will be more comfortable and it would be easier for me to manage in my own home.

Either way you are going to need someone to be a caregiver (at least part time after surgery) and if you do end up staying in Montreal. I think it would be best if you aranged for your son to stay with someone in Ottawa.  Your focus neeeds to be on you.

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Bronwen
on 9/2/11 10:40 am - Wilmington, DE
I agree with Catnip - ask Dr. Gagner if you have to stay in Montreal, since you aren't really that far away.  I had mine 5 years ago when he was in NYC and I was 2.5-3 hours away.  My husband took care of our daughter and my parents drove me up, waited during surgery, made sure I got to recovery ok, and then drove home.  They came back to pick me up 3 days later.

I couldn't have done the trip on my own - I dozed during the car ride home, and couldn't get comfortable without pain meds for a day or two after I got home.
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire