"Are you TRYING to test the limits of your surgery?" (Grrrrr!)

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 1:37 pm
The setting:  Work
The scene:  A recently-hired "concerned" coworker approaches me regarding my "eating habits".
_____

Coworker:  (concerned, mortified look on face)  "Excuse me. . ."

Me:  "Yes?"

Coworker:  "I've been watching you eat for the past 2 weeks now."

Me:  (takes bite of Sonic breakfast burrito I was given, speaking with mouth full)  "And?"

Coworker:  "You had bypass surgery, right?"

Me:  (pouring heavy cream into my coffee) "No.  My heart's just fine."

Coworker:  "No, you had some stomach thingy didn't you?"

Me:  "Oh, the 'stomach thingy'."

Coworker:  "Yeah, I heard you used to be a really fat diabetic."

Me:  "Is that rumor spreading again?  I swear, some people. . ." (takes another bite) ". . .really **** me off.  Pardon my French"  (food flies from mouth and lands on floor in front of her feet - done purposefully and timed perfectly)

Coworker:  (speechless, unsure whether to walk away or continue to engage me)  "I.  I'm sorry.  I didn't think that anyone who had a surgery to lose weight would eat the way you do.  But if you keep eating this way you're going to need surgery."

Passerby:  "He's healthier than you and, yes, he had weight loss surgery. Now walk away before he eats YOU for lunch."  (exits gleefully)

Me:  (still eating burrito)

Coworker:  "That's so sad.  Are you TRYING to test the limits of your surgery?"

Me:  "Can you explain the 'stomach thingy' I had done?"

Coworker:  (offensively)  "No."

Me:  "Then you're giving advice blindly?"

Coworker:  "NOBODY should eat the way you do.  You're setting a bad example for others."

Me:  "Am I overweight?"

Coworker:  "No."

Me:  (sizing up coworker)  "Are you overweight or obese?  I can't tell which."  (WRONG, but true since we're being so open with one another)

Coworker:  (shocked)  "That's personal."

Me:  (smiling)  "Exactly.  Now if you'll excuse me my burrito is getting cold."  (substituting in head, "Now f*** off.")  

Coworker:  (storms off)

Me:  (snort)
_____

Later that day, there was a coffee packet on my desk.  It contained a "natural" weight loss stimulant with an herbal "colon cleanser" in it.  

Coworker:  (approaching me cautiously)  "This is what I use to lose weight and cleanse my colon of impurities.  I think you should give it a try."

Me:  (condescendingly)  "It's sad that you have to abuse stimulants and laxatives to lose weight.  Maybe you should consider counseling.  You're setting a bad example for others."  (flicks packet back at her)

Coworker:  (storms off predictably)

_____

If ignorance is bliss, this should undoubtedly be the happiest woman on the face of the planet.  Might be time to start looking for another job.  Might be a blessing in disguise.  I'm almost certain that I will be reprimanded for this situation and, honestly, could care less.  She engaged and offended me.  I just happened to be the last man standing.  I honestly don't feel that I owe anybody an explanation about my dietary habits (especially when they're working).  At least I don't have to resort to concentrated bath salts (which become illegal to sell on September 1) or herbal concoctions that amount to nothing more than cheap coffee laxatives.

I'm very open about my surgery and have spent the last 2 years explaining/defending my surgical decision.  Most of my coworkers are firm believers in DS after witnessing the changes it has made in me.  There's a big difference between conversing with someone who is genuinely interested in learning more and conversing with someone who is completely condescending and "preachy".  I'm usually pretty easy-going (cough), but she rubbed me the wrong way.

Dusting off my curriculum vitae.  

Waiting for a call to the principal's office.  

End of rant.  

Have a great night.

Debbie P.
on 8/30/11 1:45 pm - Kettering, OH
Oh my gosh!  That was freakin' awesome.  I laughed out loud for real!   hehe

Thanks for sharing ... good luck in the principal's office ....

Debbie ~

pycca
on 8/30/11 1:49 pm - Haslet, TX
        I wish I could have been a mouse in your pocket!!!  I would have been clapping my little paws !!!    LOL

Least I could do would jump out and scare the cr*p out of her !!!

Sorry I missed the fun !

( smooth talk the principal )
lookthrshegos
on 8/30/11 10:56 pm - Huntland, TN
Then he would have become the creepy, disgusting, was fat and diabetic guy with critters coming out of his orifices! ROFL SNORT ROFL!!!!

Kathy

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/30/11 1:55 pm
FREAKING AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEEE!!!

Nice way of handling that co-worker! I will eat a sonic burrito in honor of your wit.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Julie R.
on 8/30/11 1:59 pm - Ludington, MI
 Oooooooohhh my goodness.   This is gonna get fun.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

elixir
on 8/30/11 2:08 pm - MI
Gotta love the fact that she came back for seconds. LOL. I love it. Maybe now she's learned to mind her own business. I don't know why you would be reprimanded for giving her back what she gave you. If I were in her shoes I wouldn't have shared that experience with anyone, especially not the management team.
 I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

beth-28
on 8/30/11 2:12 pm
Ha! I love it! Too funny!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

J G.
on 8/30/11 2:34 pm
Hey Steve, amazing.   I have work with this very same person.  Not to worry, I'm sure she will soon be known for giving out free "advice."