Another poop/gas question - I'm so sorry!

buffalobillsfan
on 8/30/11 3:39 pm - CA
I just wanted to add that I totally understand your fears.  I NEVER went to the bathroom at work as a pre-op so this aspect of the DS kept me up at night.  I can honestly say that I "grew up" a lot after surgery.  I had to have my husband wipe me for the first week after surgery.  I thought I would die and I didn't.  The benefits and normalcy I experience ever single minute of every single day FAR outweigh the small moments of discomfort that pass quickly.  Now that I can see everything from the outside I wonder how I stressed over certain things when I was actually dying of obesity. 

One thing I learned from my mom was to always think of something worse than your predicament.  I actually watched my mom "live" on life support for 3 months while she was completely coherent.  She had to have all of her bathroom needs and bathing done for her.  Now that sucks.  Stinky poop at work is so small when compared to other more serious conditions.  Not trying to minimize your fears.  I have them too.  This technique works for me and hopefully will put it in perspective for you.  You will learn to work around your particular situation.  It's so worth it. 

Cheers,
Cathy

lawbuoy
on 8/31/11 12:10 am
Hi Cathy.  Again, I greatly appreciate your thoughts on this.  It is so true that the fear of the unknown is almost always far, far greater than the actual experience of it.  For me that kind of dread - which usually arises out of anxiety about my weight in social situations - has kept me from participating in many activities that used to bring me joy.  It is truly long past time to get beyond that barrier to happiness.  Thanks for reminding me of that.
KeriDane
on 8/31/11 2:42 am - Bowling Green, KY
For those times at work when the bathroom is a necessity, check out www.poopourri.net. Awesome stuff! I have larger bottles at home and keep a smaller one in my purse for outings. You spray it on the water in the toilet, not the air.
lawbuoy
on 8/31/11 2:50 am
It's on my list, KeriDane.  Thanks very much!