WAY OT: Now that I've lightened up I want to lighten up: Living on a budget with a DS

no_more_rolls
on 8/30/11 9:46 am - Jackson, MI
I can't contribute too much, but when I had to quit working a couple years ago due to my health issues (and we lost $60K a year income) I had to learn to live on a budget quick.  I agree with other posters about buying in bulk, netflix, and phone service.

I look for things to go on sale...like boneless, skinless chicken breast @ $1.39 a pound or ribeyes @ $2.99 a pound.  I actually avoid places like Costco and Sam's Club, only because I have found items much cheaper on sale locally or online.  I always check my local ads when I need to shop.  While I am shopping I look for in store specials.  

I also buy store brand items, but some things I will not settle for less than the real thing.  In that case I look for coupons.  Beware of certain coupons!  Sometimes the store brand or different brand item is just as good and will still be less than the coupon discounted price.

I try to buy fruit and vegetables at my local farmer's market and fruit stand because it always seems to be better quality and cheaper than what is found in my supermarkets.  If there is a particular great deal on something I buy extra and freeze or can it when possible.  I also grow some of my own vegetables (like tomato and cucumber) in a very small garden area about 4 feet square.

My husband usually will get a deer or 2 and process it (himself) every year.  My brother-in-law goes fishing weekly it seems and often shares his gains with us.  So if you or someone you know would be willing to share either with you, that will help your budget.

For breads/bread products (I know often not DS friendly) I check the local bakery for "day old" items.  The items are not beyond expiration date and tend to be about half price...and my family don't complain either ;)  especially when I come home with something like asagio cheese bread or pepperoni loaves.  

I even buy my supplements in bulk.  I follow Vita-lady's protocol for the most part, except the additional items I need to take per my various docs.   I either get my supplements via her site or Puritan's Pride, depending on the items.  Puritan's Pride often has great buy "X" get "X" deals...just they do not carry some of the things I need in the forms I want.  When I bought my "first round" of supplements I bought a 6 month supply and the average monthly cost is $56.00, not bad considering I often hear people quote higher $ amounts.

Protein powders... well it depends on the type I am looking for.  Currently I do not tolerate ANY protein powder well, but I have tried several types pre and post-op.  I really liked the Super Advanced Whey Protein at Walmart pre-op.  It is available in 5 flavors.  A 2 pound container runs $15.99 in stores, but you can buy a 3 pack (your choice of flavors) online for $39.00 and it includes free shipping!  So you save a trip to the store (time and gas) plus $9.00!  If you are looking for other protein powders, try the website for Swanson Health Products.  The prices seem to be less than other sites and they often offer specials on particular items, free shipping, or % off discounts.

Going out to dinner?  What's that?  Well I do on occasion meet a friend for breakfast or lunch, and when I do I often look for a "special" that sounds appealing to me.  If we go out as a family, we use coupons or order specials.  No beverages (or desert) for me or the hubby (excep****er)...but we do let the kids get what they want.  We used to go out to dinner several times a week...not including the fast food we would grab.  If I am going to be out for a while, I plan ahead and pack protein bars and bring water...much cheaper and convenient than grabbing something on the run.

When shoe/clothing shopping look for sales, I have to especially with 2 adolescents!  Look for buy 1 get X deals and check  sales papers.  If something is a "must have" and within budget ask the store if they have a price adjustment policy.  If they do, buy it!  Go back a few weeks later to see if the item went on sale, show your receipt, and get the price difference back.  I did this when school clothes shopping recently for my daughter.  She "had" to have a pair of Nike Jordan's.  When all was said and done I got them for $26.00 a few weeks later!  They were originally over $100!  LOL  It don't always work out that good, but there are deals to be gotten.  I also shop a lot of outlet stores and clearance racks...often getting brand new items for less than I would spend at my local thrift stores.

Guess that was more than I thought!  LOL  I hope you find one of those tips useful.

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

ThisIsMyUserName
on 8/30/11 5:43 pm
Awesome Tips,

I would just like to add that I read upthread that you shop at Wal Mart??? MY PERSONAL OPINION....Wal Mart for grocery shopping is the pitts. Processed foods and canned stuff, sugary cereals etc are cheap and maybe dairy. Fresh produce is usually on the pricer side, the selection is pretty awful and so is the quality. Meat is on the pricey side. Seafood is the frozen pre bagged stuff and not all that reasonable. So in my opinion, Wal Mart wouldn't be a place I would regularly shop for the DS lifestyle. I am very good at remembering prices. In my area chuck roasts go on sale as low as $1.39lb. More often its closer to $1.79 though. My local Wal Mart has never had it for less than $4.79 a lb or so (unless its one of the expires that same day packages where the meat is already brown) .  Wal Mat also sells their meat at a flat rate...meaning there is a price per lb, but all the packages are the same weight. For Chicken Drumsticks they usually want very close to $2.00 a lb.  They can be had on sale as low as $.69 a lb, but more often $.89 or$.99 a lb. Periodically they run whole tyson chickens for $.88 a lb. They will be priced like this for months and then shoot up to like $1.79 a lb for a whole chicken. Im with the other posters *****commend sitting down with the local grocery ad and planning meals.

Im pre op, so I have nothing to add about vites and protein powders but I noticed that I only buy spices, SOME dairy and a few canned goods from Wal Mart because to me, in my area at least they are kinda crazy for what they charge for meat and produce. For toiletries try the CVS Extra Care Bucks program. Basically its a free program and when you buy certain products at CVS you get money added to your card. For example if you buy 2 shampoo's you may get $3.00 in Extra Care Bucks. or they were once giving $10.00 in Extra Care Bucks fro buying diapers. It goes right to your card, no rebates etc. You also get a general percentage of what you buy and for prescriptions put on the card.. But you can use the Extra Care Bucks in the store just like cash. I buy all my toothpaste and soap there....And havent paid a cent out of pocket for them in about a year. This program is not gonna save a ton or make you rich, but it can help. Right now I have about $15.00 in Extra Care Bucks, and I will likely blow the whole wad on toothpaste and soap. If im careful, I can accrue new Extra Care Bucks while using the ones I've already accrued. And you get the point. Eventually you will be getting (small) items for free and if you play your cards right, you can keep it rolling and always have a balance on the card.

I take my horribly rotten dog to a woman who babysits him in her house. She charges 30 a night, and I provide the food. I found out about her from the dog park. Word of mouth. He loves it there and I feel she is worth every penny. Im sure a lot of pet owners feel the same way so the pet services biz will take off in NO TIME.
Good Luck!