WAY OT: Now that I've lightened up I want to lighten up: Living on a budget with a DS

BBoop
on 8/29/11 3:08 pm
Today I just found a new protein...the CVS brand...it's very good.  That will save shipping costs.  I bought the chocolate and truly enjoyed it.  It is very thick and rich with very little after taste if any. The two pound bag is about the same as national brands but you can buy two at a time and save that shipping.

You sound like you are doing all you can.  Give the dog training a little more time I bet the business picks up.

B
beemerbeeper
on 8/29/11 3:15 pm - AL
Thanks Betty.  I know who my market is for what I can do now.  Once I have my own place I will have to market the other part separately.

I just need to be visible to my market and make sure I come across as good at what I do.  We have a show in October and it is important that I do well there.  It may take some time, but I do believe that IN time I can have a few students a week which is all I can handle.

I'm hitting up the library tomorrow for books on both personal fiancial management and small business stuff and see if I can get smarter about this money stuff.  The economy has forced my hand.  If I don't do something I'm going to be in a world of hurt.

~Becky

BBoop
on 8/29/11 3:49 pm
Hang in there, things do usually work out.  I don't know why but they do.  I empathize with you as I'm on a fixed income since retiring and I long for the days of working and having money but alas that time has passed. 

Listen if I were close to you I would bring my three little fur babies to you to train...all little (meaning small) all rescues but all very smart.  None of them are trained you should see us on a walk...it's a real comedy. I had a border collie she lived till she was sixteen.  She was my last big dog and I miss my big dogs but I'm just too old to handle them anymore.  They were trained or close to it.

I really like the idea of boarding ...are you in a apt or a house?  Maybe you could take just one pet at a time if you are in a small place...just thinking.

Unless you are married to your current protein...try the CVS brand, I was shocked to find out how good it was today.  I also use HEB a local grocery for my calcium and multi.  I use CVS for my zinc but of course I use Vitalady for just about everything else.

Hang in there girlfriend...you will make it and I wouldn't be surprised if you come out on top.  I wish you the best on the agility trials.  Can you afford a sign to put up or hang on the crate or something to advertise your new business?  You have to let people know about you and what you can do.  Phamphlets?  Can you make some handouts and distribute at the trials?  They don't have to be professionally done...get some colored paper and print them up and hand 'em out.

I wish you the best, I really admire you for your efforts. 

B
beemerbeeper
on 8/30/11 2:18 am - AL
Hi Betty.  I don't teach agility but rather competitive obedience. I also can't teach pet dog obedience classes because the facility I can use is just starting their own pet dog classes.  But your ideas about having something at the show are good.  I can't bring another dog into my little house and I probably couldn't get insurance either.  So that part, which is the part where I have the most potential to make a little money will have to wait until I have a house.  It can't happen soon enough.  I have high hopes for that part of my business.  One dog a month would be plenty of incoming cash for me.

Thanks for all the ideas!!!  They are so appreciated.

~Becky

ModestoK
on 8/30/11 4:30 am
Would you have any interest in a pet sitting business?  On old neighbor of mine had one and once it took off, she had too many people wanting her services.  She was really good with animals like you are and with the high cost of boarding, lots of people would prefer the at home care option.   Less stress for Fido and the human's know that the house is at least being checked once or twice a day while they are away.

Just a thought. 
Kim
beemerbeeper
on 8/30/11 4:51 am - AL
Yes I would certainly think about doing that.  Right now I live in a rural area and I think gas would eat up my proceeds.  Once I get moved (I know I am putting too many eggs in THAT basket) I would be able to figure out how far away from home I could drive and what I would have to charge to make it worth my time.

I have a friend here who pet sits.  I'll have to ask her about her business and how it is going.

~Becky

Amanda-DS
on 8/30/11 5:51 am
you can include mileage in your pet fee's
you state round trip twice daily from your house to theirs (map quest so there is no question) =charge reimbursed rate I believe in NY it is 55cents per mile fpr excess mileage.

Standard fee example= $20 per dog day twice daily check in, feeding, medications with a 15 minute walk for dogs + mileage fee if greater than 10 miles from your house

I know in our area there is a great need for this.
our area also has extra fees if you want Dog taken to groomer, get nails done etc., charged time + mileage you do not have to do the work yourself just the transportation.
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

beemerbeeper
on 8/30/11 5:58 am - AL
Now that is a good idea.

I like it.  Makes living in "town" a little more appealing than living way out of town.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 6:24 am - Saint Louis, MO
I really, really wished you lived closer.  Dog training is expensive!!  Plus, I have a back yard you could use.
beemerbeeper
on 8/30/11 7:15 am - AL
I am hopeful that I can do a little board and train business when I get a house.  I would take one dog at a time to live with me and my dogs in my house and train them for 1-2 months on everything the owner wants trained.  I have a friend who is doing this in Greenville SC and seems to always have a wait list.

I would drive up to 3 hours to meet someone to pick up their dog.

I'm GOOD at this type traning so I have no doubts that I can train the dog.  The marketing of such a service I would have to work on.

And if I lived closer I would give you the DS discount.  lol.

~Becky