WAY OT: Now that I've lightened up I want to lighten up: Living on a budget with a DS

beemerbeeper
on 8/29/11 11:32 am - AL
This is pretty far OT. 

I'm coming up on 2 years since the miracle of my DS. This being thin thing really works for me I have to say.  This being HEALTHY thing really works for me too.  I swear I can't believe how good I feel, how much physical ability I have again, and how wonderful it is to just be NORMAL.

I moved last February and left a too big house with a too big yard in a too snowy a city last February in hopes of selling said house and buying a small house with a small yard in a city with no snow.

Well best laid plans and all that.  The house didn't sell.  I have no idea what I'm going to do about that. 

I've been living in a one bedroom apartment with a TINY yard and a lot of my "stuff" that I left in North Carolina I don't even remember much less miss.  The garage is full of boxes and all the dining room "stuff" is still in the old house and as far as I'm concerend it can stay in NC, or if it does comes to Alabama it is going to get sold directly via ebay or a yard sale.

I also need to downsize the outgoing cash as I work on building a little business to bring in a little more income.  This economy is killing me.

I'm looking for ways to decrease the expenses and ways to live a more simple life.

I think getting rid of the 'stuff' is a good first start.  Learning that a 1 bedroom house is PLENTY big enough has been a good lesson too.

But where do I go to learn how to live more economically and how to spend less money???

Are you folks who are great at living on a budget AND WITH A DS out there?  Wanna share ideas?

~Becky

blondegal
on 8/29/11 11:40 am - CT
Hi Becky,

I give you a lot of credit for trying to be budget conscious.  I've been trying to do the same this past year.  A friend gave me a Dave Ramsey book.  While much of the info was common sense (and I could do without the religious aspect of some of the stories) it was the push I needed to start paying attention.  I also find that Gail Voz-Oxlade is fantastic -- her books and her show (which is on CNBC I believe).  I DVR it and always learn some tip or trick (it's called 'Till Debt Do us Part) and is written about couples and their various issues with money.  I think she's great.  She's no-nonsense, too, which I like.

I've gone so far as to get a budget for dummies book.  I've also downloaded mint.com to my smartphone.  Neither I've used as of yet... but here's hoping. 

I can't say that there's anything "one" thing that I do -- but each little thing I learned spurred me along to learn something new...I found that the things I do now do help me save pennies -- and many times those pennies add up!  Good luck!

Best,
Dawn

P.S.  My first recommendation -- the library -- it is amazing what you can borrow for free!

beemerbeeper
on 8/29/11 12:58 pm - AL
Dave Ramsey it is.  I've got a start on the budget process with the fixed expenses.  It's the groceries, gasoline, pet food, vitamins, protein supplements,  and other shopping that I have no real idea how much I spend or how to cut back.

Thanks for the Gail Voz-Oxlade recommendation as well.  I've never heard of her.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 9:24 am
KarenFlorida
on 8/29/11 11:47 am, edited 8/29/11 12:53 pm - Orlando, FL
I agree with Dawn. Dave Ramsey. He has a good common sense book called "Total Money Makeover." He also has a radio show, tv show, and free podcasts if you're an iPod user.

What he discusses is not rocket science, but sometimes you just need a simple method that works.

Karen

Edited for typo
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

beemerbeeper
on 8/29/11 12:59 pm - AL
Thanks Karen,

I'm going to the library tomorrow.

~Becky

Tammy D.
on 8/29/11 12:51 pm
Congrats on feeling so great and being so happy!  what a miracle, eh?

Meat-I buy quantity at Costco, individually wrap it in 1 serving size (at the size I can eat) and put all those, individually wrapped, into a freezer bag.  Lay flat in freezer until frozen so they are easier to unthaw.  I get the whole chickens, eat the dark meat, cut up the white meat for salads.  Again that gets individual salad size bagged and into a large bag that is labelled.  Same for breakfast sausage.  I buy in bulk, cook, package it down.  I find the cooked items unthaw in 15 minutes (or less) so I can eat whenever 'My Precious' desires.

Though I am not a fan of leftovers, I now bag 'em all up and throw those in the freezer too. I eat them too.

Now that nothing is going to waste it seems to have cut down on the protein costs.

We cut our cell phones down to minimum pkgs as well as reduced cable and went with a slower internet.  This saved $107/mo. The cells will get eliminated, or at least one goes, in Nov if still no jobs in the house.

Tuesdays is Popeye's Chicken 1 leg and 1 thigh for $1.29.  (In TX it was .99!)  Anyway, a cheap way to get the thrill of take-out.

I havent done the math yet on my preferred RTD protein shakes vs. powdered...
beemerbeeper
on 8/29/11 1:01 pm - AL
I just got a coupon for a free breakfast from Chick Fil-A!!! Did you see that thread?
We don't have a Popeyes but I will keep a lookout for cheap fastfood.

I haven't gotten into the groove about my shopping since I moved.  In NC I was really good about making one trip a week to Sam's, Walmart, Aldi, and the local cheap grocery and knowing what was best to buy where.

I've not done so well here.  Promise to do better.

Thank you MUCH for the suggestions.

~Becky

Tammy D.
on 8/29/11 2:00 pm
Oh man, the last Chil-Fil-A closed in my area!  Bummer.

Hey, aren;t you one of the walking/talking compost machines?  Weren't you going to check into that extra income?  :)   LOL

Have you thought about giving weekend lessons to people who want training (for them or their dog)?  I know you have a passion for the activity-can it be a source of extra income?
beemerbeeper
on 8/29/11 2:14 pm - AL
I am trying to develop a little training business.  I've had two whole clients.  But hey, it is a start.  It is not something I could do in NC (too much competition) but since no one is doing it here (teaching competitive obedience) I've just got to get folks to see that they need me. lol.

I also have an idea for another small business but I have to have a HOUSE with a yard to do it.  It is called "Board and Train" where you bring a pet dog into your home for 1-2 months and teach it all the basic pet manners and stuff for people who are too busy to do it themsleves.  I think I can actually make a little money doing this.  Again, no competition in this area.  But I can't do it in a rental (insurance) and my stupid house in NC won't sell.  Grrrr.

I am going to add "compost delivery available" to my business cards.

~Becky