Oh crap.....BP w/DS & DS

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 9:22 am - PA
So I was just looking over the letter from the insurance company regarding my approval.  It's states on there the BP with DS.  I'm reading about both now, but am nervous that I'm not getting the right surgery?

Can someone tell me more info about the difference between them?  I'm doin research now about the BP with DS, but getting confused with it all. 

Please help!!

Thanks,

Alisha
Elizabeth N.
on 8/29/11 9:29 am, edited 8/29/11 9:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
That should be meaningless. What's important is that your surgeon does a "subtotal VERTICAL gastrectomy with duodenal switch."

The BPD or Scopinaro procedure involves a HORIZONTAL subtotal gastrectomy, which you do not want under any cir****tances because it means your pylorus is gone forever and you will have a pouch forever. Don't do that.

Make sure your surgeon is very clear about what s/he does and make it clear that a pouch is a deal breaker (assuming it IS a deal breaker for you).

ETA: Oh duh. I just saw you're using Dr. G. He does it right, no worries.

Have you hooked up with the PADS yet? That's essential for your followup and stuff, because there isn't any DS-proper ANYTHING in that practice except for the procedure itself. The ONLY thing the place has going for it is that they are two very good surgeons. I won't recommend them at all because their practice is so lousy in every other respect.

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 9:44 am - PA
Elizabeth,

Thank you soo much.  I looked at the information booklet they gave me and it shows the vertical sleeve with the DS - does that sound right? 

Also, tell me more about the PADS?

Elizabeth N.
on 8/29/11 11:50 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, that's right.

PADS = Philadelphia Area DSers. They meet after the monthly "support group" meetings and have a meal and a real support group for the DS. They have a Facebook group as well. Tom or Ellen would be the ones to add you there.

Blank Out
on 8/30/11 6:39 am
 Yes, I am seconding what Elizabeth said.    I am a Dr. G patient.  Very happy with my surgery and the hospital.  But, you will have to educate and advocate for yourself, because their vitamin and dietary recommendations are lacking.    I am with PADS.  If you are on Facebook, send me your info so I can invite you on.  You can PM me.  Also, after the monthly meetings, we all meet up at Chili's down the street for the REAL support group!  Hope to see you in September!
Diane 

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

no_more_rolls
on 8/30/11 10:16 am - Jackson, MI
I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I would check with your surgeon just for peace of mind.  In my surgical report it said I was given the DS with BPD.  I questioned my surgeon (well known and reputable) post op because I was not sure if I was given the right procedure.  He assured me I was given the "basic" DS even though the report said "BPD".  He stated many DS'ers are given the BPD even though it is just called the DS for short.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 10:26 am - PA
Thank you sooo much for the encouragement! 

I am definately checking and double checking with the surgeon.

Alish
Sean_B
on 8/30/11 11:10 am - Schenectady, NY
if it helps, the "full" name of the DS is:
Bilio-Pancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch, often shortened to BPD/DS and in recent years has been shortened by most to just "DS" to help differentiate from the older BPD.

There are also a couple different name variations depending on the surgeon...
GR-DS... Gastric Reduction with Duodenal Switch
VG-DS (or VSG-DS)... Vertical Gastrectomy (or vert. Sleeve Gast.) with DS.

if in doubt, just double check with your surgeon, and ask for a graphic if he/she has one

Pre: 324 Now: 185-190 http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v362/171/99/1251208761/n1251208761_30154298_7588.jpg