250 common channel

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 8:59 am - Woodbridge, VA
I have a super long common channel, probably in the neighborhood of 350-400cm (he didn't actually measure it, but that's what it would be if I have an "average" length small intestine based on the lengths of the other 2 limbs according to my op report). Like you, this was not intentional, but something that happened once he got in there and found some **** (for me, it was dense adhesions from a prior open lower abdominal surgery...supposedly, but we won't get into the "supposedly" part!).

I never reached goal, but I lost from 308.5 (morning of surgery weight) to just over 200 (204ish) without much effort. I then got stricter with low-carbing and lost about another 20 pounds.

I can't speak to maintenance very much because I'm now pregnant, so that sort of throws a kink in the works  :P  I will say that I could eat pretty freely and stay within the 180s; losing more requires a LOT of focused effort.

So, since you're starting at a much lower BMI than I did, I think you'll be okay  :)
michelehei
on 8/30/11 10:34 pm
Thanks Jillybean.
You have had great success!  Congrats on your weight loss and congrats on your pregnancy!  That's exciting news!!  A new little Jellybean!
I got on the scale this morning and I'm already down 10lbs. so things are going to be just fine!  I'm 54 years old so I'm not looking for that 20 year old figure.  I just want to get healthy. 
Thanks for your encouraging words and good luck with the pregnancy! 
Thanks again!
J G.
on 8/30/11 2:16 pm
Michele, judging from your description and that Dr. G was working on your for 5 hrs, you must have been a mess.  You need to be smiling from ear to ear that you got a DS and the Dr. G. was your surgeon!  Someday you will look back at this post and your concern and have a good laugh.  You'll do fine!

-Jenny 
michelehei
on 8/30/11 10:37 pm
Thanks Jenny!

I have a whole new different outlook about my 250cm cc now that I have really thought about it.  You are absolutely right.  I am grateful to have had Dr. Gagner as my surgeon and grateful that he was able to do what he did.  I'm looking forward to getting healthy and I'm already loving my DS!!