Protein Advice

Lisey
on 8/29/11 11:25 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I was talking to Bethany (sotto-voce) and she recommended that I might want to start thinking of taking creon until this passes.  I'm probably going to bring it up at my next dr appt.  It might really boil down to, if my ins covers it, I will take it.  I haven't found anything about a diet for people with already reduced absorption.  My "guide" book talks about pretty standard nutritional advice for normies except emphasizes that you may need more fat and protein than normal to keep up your calorie intake and balance out the fact that most people eat less during this time period (& need more protein for tissue recovery).

I've been using my protein shakes to get in enough protein, but then having carbs in a ratio that a typical American has.  I figure this will help keep my calories up.  I also freely eat high sugar junk food for the same reason.  My very unscientific logic suggests to me that this way I will end up eating more total calories.  Totally not based on anything I've read, though.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Kayla B.
on 8/30/11 5:38 am - Austin, TX
I think that sounds like a good idea (the Creon)

You might also look into adding a medium-chain triglyceride fat source, as MCT fats are able to be absorbed without bile.  Without going into the hairy details, they are absorbed through a different means than a regular fat and don't have to be emulsified before they get absorbed.  I know MCT fat therapies are used in other malabsorbing populations (cystic fibrosis), but don't know the details of how it eventually contributes to their overall health.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg